IRS Data Retrieval Tool for FAFSA

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

IRS Data Retrieval Tool for FAFSA

Postby risa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Maybe I am being brain-dead but I can't find the link (referred to in quote below) to use this. Maybe it's not available since IRS hasn't technically started processing federal tax returns yet? (I submitted mine through TurboTax but they said the IRS won't start processing them til end of January). Has anyone else successfully used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

I've seen schools like MIchigan, Harvard, and others strongly recommend that you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool but:
A) I can't find the damn link to it from my FAFSA (I even tried erasing my whole app and starting over, thinking maybe I'd missed the link at the beginning); and
B) it says that to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool you may need to wait 3 weeks after you file your return. I'm a little torn between the benefits of submitting my FAFSA 3 weeks sooner vs. using the Data Retrieval Tool to avoid possible delays later (Harvard says if you don't use it and you're selected for Federal Verification, it could delay your financial aid app for 6-8 weeks.

Info from FAFSA on the IRS Data Retrieval Tool here:

If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, then click Link To IRS to transfer your tax return information from the IRS Web site into your FAFSA. (Note: If you previously transferred your tax return information from the IRS, or you indicate that you filed your tax return electronically within the last three weeks or through the mail within the last eight weeks, then the Link To IRS button displays once you click the “View option to link to the IRS” hyperlink.)

Thoughts/help? Financial aid has become the bane of my existence. Don't even get me started on the fucking Need Access Application.

Return to “Financial Aid”