Schools That Require Parent Info on FAFSA

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
twinkletoes16

Schools That Require Parent Info on FAFSA

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Thought this could be a helpful compiling.

So far:

YES, Parent Info Required:
-Berkeley
-Michigan

NO, Parent Info NOT Required:
-Northwestern

I'm going to work but will try to add more schools later on. If anyone knows/can correct me, please do! Better to submit the FAFSA just twice rather than a million different times. OR if this exists somewhere, if someone could just point me in the right direction on TLS and I'll happily delete. TIA.

WhiteyCakes

Re: Schools That Require Parent Info on FAFSA

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Duke and Cornell do not require. Although from what I understand the easiest thing to do is to submit the info and send to all schools. I have been assured that even though they receive the info, schools don't review the parent info in most cases

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Should we already be filling out our FAFSA forms as an OL starting law school in fall?
I know what school I will be at.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Br3v wrote:Should we already be filling out our FAFSA forms as an OL starting law school in fall?
I know what school I will be at.

Even if you don't know which school, you should be filling it out. Also NeedAccess if any of your schools require it. (NA is a MUCH bigger pain.)

risa

Postby risa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Thought this could be a helpful compiling.

So far:

-Berkeley (unless you will be 30 years old by December 31, 2013)
-Michigan

-Northwestern

Also, re: Michigan, where did you get your info from? This site (LinkRemoved) seems to say parent information is NOT required for Michigan:

Because at Michigan, parent information is not required to apply for aid, we will disregard the data if you have completed the parent information for another school.

Complete and submit a 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Your (and, if applicable, your spouse's) information must be recorded on the FAFSA. Please note that you do not need to provide parental information.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 am

risa wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Thought this could be a helpful compiling.

So far:

-Berkeley (unless you will be 30 years old by December 31, 2013)
-Michigan

-Northwestern

Also, re: Michigan, where did you get your info from? This site (LinkRemoved) seems to say parent information is NOT required for Michigan:

Because at Michigan, parent information is not required to apply for aid, we will disregard the data if you have completed the parent information for another school.

Complete and submit a 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Your (and, if applicable, your spouse's) information must be recorded on the FAFSA. Please note that you do not need to provide parental information.

Oops, I'm wrong. Thanks, will correct!

And yes, as 0Ls we should be filling out FAFSA, NeedAccess, ad any supplemental forms (supplemental for schools you're already in at)

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Duke and Cornell do not require. Although from what I understand the easiest thing to do is to submit the info and send to all schools. I have been assured that even though they receive the info, schools don't review the parent info in most cases

Duke requires parental info for need-based aid.

Cornell requires parental info for any financial aid.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Virginia requires parental info.

risa

Postby risa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:44 am

nbj08 wrote:Duke requires parental info for need-based aid.

Cornell requires parental info for any financial aid.

kingjones59 wrote:Virginia requires parental info.

Duke requires it on the Need Access, but I do not see anything on the Admits' site saying parental info is required on the FAFSA for Duke.

For Virginia, only entering students who are unmarried and 26 or younger when they enroll are required to provide parental info on the FAFSA.

Note to self: Look all this up yourself instead of relying on this thread (or am I just the only old lady on TLS?) :lol:

p.s. George Washington requires parental info on the FAFSA if you were born in or after 1985.

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 pm

risa wrote:Duke requires it on the Need Access, but I do not see anything on the Admits' site saying parental info is required on the FAFSA for Duke.

Forgot the thread was about fafsa and not finaid in general. My bad.

risa wrote:Note to self: Look all this up yourself instead of relying on this thread (or am I just the only old lady on TLS?) :lol:

Agreed. It's probably quicker just to look at a school's finaid website than to browse TLS for the answer.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 am

Last edited by ManOfTheMinute on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 am

Last edited by Chaucer1343 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 am

Last edited by Chaucer1343 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vividviolin

Postby vividviolin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:55 pm

I just called Harvard: they do not require parental info on the FAFSA. (They get far more detailed information from Need Access, anyways...)

testaker

Postby testaker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Does anyone know whether parents can fill out their income/tax info on FAFSA separately from the student (so student does not see their sensitive financial information)? I know this is an option with NeedAccess, but it doesn't seem like it with FAFSA so far...any insight would be appreciated!

Also, please excuse my ignorance, but if you are filling out FAFSA and/or NeedAccess for schools with different requirements (demand parents' info vs. don't), how do you submit different versions of your application? Basically, how do you ensure that a school that doesn't require parental info doesn't see your parents' info that you had to enter for another school? Thank you!

Return to “Financial Aid”