Private Loans From Undergrad

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
shawty18ga

Private Loans From Undergrad

Postby shawty18ga » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 pm

I'm a 3L in my last semester. My loans from undergrad have been deferred the whole time I've been in law school. I had the business office fill out the form that the loan people gave me that said that I was in school so that I was eligible for deferment. All of a sudden, the loan people are saying that I have to pay, and that the only reason I didn't have to pay for the last 2.5 years is that they didn't know that I had graduated from undergrad. I'm pretty sure that my loans were supposed to be deferred as long as I'm in school half-time. The difference between my understanding and theirs is that they say this was only for undergrad. Does anybody have any experience with this? I don't have the notes (I was a dumbass in undergrad and didn't hold onto them).

Captain Hammer

Re: Private Loans From Undergrad

Postby Captain Hammer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 pm

For private loans the rules vary. Many private student loan providers offer deferment options for those in graduate school, but not all do. It's quite possible you have a loan that didn't have a deferment option. In that case, they can start asking for repayment any time they want.

shawty18ga

Re: Private Loans From Undergrad

Postby shawty18ga » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:56 pm

I just feel like they're bullshitting me. After all, they were the ones who sent me the deferment form to have the school fill out when I told them I needed to defer for law school. I guess I need the note. The bastards won't send it to me unless I write them a letter, which I'm sure will take forever to process.

Return to “Financial Aid”