UNC Scholarship - 164, 3.93? - I really need help! Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
michaelm55

Bronze

UNC Scholarship - 164, 3.93? - I really need help!

Post by michaelm55 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:42 pm

What are my odds of scholarship at UNC (if any)? Can I leverage other school scholarships (non-conditional $120,000 from Indiana-Bloomington, $48,000 2.5 gpa stipulation from Minnesota, etc.) against UNC effectively? If so, what advice could you offer?

UNC is one of my top 2 choices, but avaliable data seems to indicate they would be pretty stingy with me. Am I wrong?

I am a non-resident. Check out the profile.

P.S. I did recieve a call from a professor on the admissions committee that indicated they would very much like me to attend. Is this a promising sign, or irrelavent to potential merit scholarship?

Thank you,

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: UNC Scholarship - 164, 3.93? - I really need help!

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 am

michaelm55 wrote:What are my odds of scholarship at UNC (if any)? Can I leverage other school scholarships (non-conditional $120,000 from Indiana-Bloomington, $48,000 2.5 gpa stipulation from Minnesota, etc.) against UNC effectively? If so, what advice could you offer?

UNC is one of my top 2 choices, but avaliable data seems to indicate they would be pretty stingy with me. Am I wrong?

I am a non-resident. Check out the profile.

P.S. I did recieve a call from a professor on the admissions committee that indicated they would very much like me to attend. Is this a promising sign, or irrelavent to potential merit scholarship?

Thank you,
Mylsn.info would tell you your odds of a scholarship. I would think those offers should motivate them to offer something, not to mention your great gpa and decent LSAT. But why do you want to go to UNC? What are your ties to North Carolina? There is only one school I would consider in NC if I didn't have ties and it's in Durham not Chapel Hill.

Also, of course you need to retake the LSAT. Maybe you can still sign up for February?

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Bigzuck- there are 3 schools to consider in NC- Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest. You have no idea what the applicant's background is and you are already questioning his desire to go there. That's not helpful.

OP- From the research I've done, UNC usually isn't all that generous with financial aid money. It doesn't have as stingy of a reputation as, say, Fordham, but it's generally not as generous as some other top tier schools. However, I just heard back from Wake Forest and got 105,000 dollars. My numbers are 163/3.6. Basically, I'm an average admit at Wake Forest, yet they basically gave me a full ride. The point is you just never know what a law school will offer. There doesn't seem to be universal set of guidelines that dictate financial aid offers. If a law school really wants you to enroll, they will make you an offer that they think will lure you in.

You have great numbers so I'm sure UNC will make you a solid offer. Keep in mind that UNC in state tuition is less than 25,000 dollars, so a lower scholarship from UNC can still mean an affordable law school education (if you can snag residency). In my acceptance email from UNC, they told me that financial aid offers would be sent out at the end of this month. Try not to stress about it too much (I know that it's easier said than done) and wait and see. Good luck.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Bigzuck- there are 3 schools to consider in NC- Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest. You have no idea what the applicant's background is and you are already questioning his desire to go there. That's not helpful.

OP- From the research I've done, UNC usually isn't all that generous with financial aid money. It doesn't have as stingy of a reputation as, say, Fordham, but it's generally not as generous as some other top tier schools. However, I just heard back from Wake Forest and got 105,000 dollars. My numbers are 163/3.6. Basically, I'm an average admit at Wake Forest, yet they basically gave me a full ride. The point is you just never know what a law school will offer. There doesn't seem to be universal set of guidelines that dictate financial aid offers. If a law school really wants you to enroll, they will make you an offer that they think will lure you in.

You have great numbers so I'm sure UNC will make you a solid offer. Keep in mind that UNC in state tuition is less than 25,000 dollars, so a lower scholarship from UNC can still mean an affordable law school education (if you can snag residency). In my acceptance email from UNC, they told me that financial aid offers would be sent out at the end of this month. Try not to stress about it too much (I know that it's easier said than done) and wait and see. Good luck.
+1

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Bigzuck- there are 3 schools to consider in NC- Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest. You have no idea what the applicant's background is and you are already questioning his desire to go there. That's not helpful.

This thread is from more than a year ago and the OP currently attends UT so I doubt they will be taking your advice, which is a good thing because your advice is bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Weird necro.

My advice was excellent. And considering he applied to schools in NC, IN, and ended up at a school in TX, I think I was spot on in being confused as to what his ties were and just what exactly his plan of attack was. And I didn't say UNC or WF should never be considered, just that it doesn't really make sense to go to a regional school like those without ties to the state, or at least a really compelling reason to want to attend. I wanted to make sure he wasn't someone who was from CA, wanted to go to school in NC, and then get NY big law or something silly like that.

Anyway, your post was just really weird all around. Try to stick to active threads.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Bigzuck- how was it weird? Everybody knows that Duke is the best school in North Carolina. Not everybody gets into Duke, but might want to go to school in the area. You questioned his desire to go to UNC without knowing anything about his background, which is unhelpful.

I clicked on this from Google search cause I was looking for scholarship information about UNC and thought it was a current thread.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Bigzuck- how was it weird? Everybody knows that Duke is the best school in North Carolina. Not everybody gets into Duke, but might want to go to school in the area. You questioned his desire to go to UNC without knowing anything about his background, which is unhelpful.

I clicked on this from Google search cause I was looking for scholarship information about UNC and thought it was a current thread.
lol, he has a 3.93. TCR is retake and go on full Mordecai at Duke. Even if he can't do it, it's worth a shot to retake. Loses nothing but some time studying by doing it.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:Bigzuck- how was it weird? Everybody knows that Duke is the best school in North Carolina. Not everybody gets into Duke, but might want to go to school in the area. You questioned his desire to go to UNC without knowing anything about his background, which is unhelpful.

lol, he has a 3.93. TCR is retake and go on full Mordecai at Duke. Even if he can't do it, it's worth a shot to retake. Loses nothing but some time studying by doing it.
This

I was being as helpful as can be. I suggested something that could get himself scholarship money and/or better schools. And I asked what his motivation was because there are so many knuckleheads around here who just want to go to the highest ranked school they can get into (regardless of whether that makes sense or not), or they go to regional schools with no ties to the area and aim for jobs they probably won't be able to get. My spidey senses were tingling based on the schools he was discussing and I was trying to figure out what his plan was. Also, I was just asking a question broham.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:56 am

Bigzuck- I know where you are coming from, and I agree with your last post. Do you have any advice for me regarding Wake Forest? I don't have any ties to the area, but I actually grew up in Rome, Italy so I don't really have a "home" in the United States. I have ties to the west coast and east coast (family), but I'm not necessarily set on living anywhere in particular.

I'm still waiting on a number of schools, but Wake Forest offered me 105,000 dollars and I'm also in contention for a 20,000 and a 10,000 scholarship as well (won't hear back on those until May). I never really thought I would end up in North Carolina, but that amount of money is hard to turn down.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:04 am

Moneytrees wrote:Bigzuck- I know where you are coming from, and I agree with your last post. Do you have any advice for me regarding Wake Forest? I don't have any ties to the area, but I actually grew up in Rome, Italy so I don't really have a "home" in the United States. I have ties to the west coast and east coast (family), but I'm not necessarily set on living anywhere in particular.

I'm still waiting on a number of schools, but Wake Forest offered me 105,000 dollars and I'm also in contention for a 20,000 and a 10,000 scholarship as well (won't hear back on those until May). I never really thought I would end up in North Carolina, but that amount of money is hard to turn down.
I honestly don't mean to be dismissive but maybe start your own thread and I and other people can comment there?

The mods will probably lock this one soon because we keep bumping an old thread.

As a general matter if your family ties are in the Northeast/CA I would be inclined to target those markets and not the south. The south can be a little less forgiving of outsiders than NY/CA.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:29 am

That's what I've heard. Ideally I would get a good scholarship from BC/BU or Fordham, but I don't know how realistic that is. I know Fordham is especially stingy. My cousin only got 10k from them and he had 170/3.6 :|

I was accepted to University of San Diego with a full scholarship, but the employment numbers are so poor that I'm not really considering it. I'll probably create a new thread once I hear back from all the schools I've applied to to get advice. Thanks.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”