Taking Out Loans HLS

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
leebs2

Taking Out Loans HLS

Postby leebs2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Am I able to take out more loans than the amount of the "estimated cost of attendance"?

E.g. Estimated cost of attendance= $75,000
My estimated costs= $100,000
Is there any way for me to borrow an additional $25,000?

joshhoward

Re: Taking Out Loans HLS

Postby joshhoward » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:14 pm

I don't know for certain, but I assume that it is similar to UG where you can only get loans up to cost, but if its a justifiable expense, your can talk to HLS finaid office and they can approve the additional cost for a loan.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:07 pm

leebs2 wrote:Am I able to take out more loans than the amount of the "estimated cost of attendance"?

E.g. Estimated cost of attendance= $75,000
My estimated costs= $100,000
Is there any way for me to borrow an additional $25,000?
If you have children it can raise the school's estimate of your cost of attendance.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:33 pm

They have a breakdown of the illustrative student budget here: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... udget.html.
If you can show that your actual expense in an area is higher, e.g. you pay higher rent, they will adjust it for you. Same goes for less common expenses that are not included on the list, like having a family, etc. but those need to be legit, e.g. you can add the cost of having a car if you have a baby but you can't add it if you just want a car for convenience.

Return to “Financial Aid”