FAFSA/Aid Questions

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
twinkletoes16

FAFSA/Aid Questions

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

So FAFSA is available soon for the new year. I have a few questions-

My parents aren't contributing to financing law school. I know that FAFSA wants your parents' financial info, but does that negatively impact my ability to get aid from law schools? Does it vary by law school? Will I not be able to get loans at all? Is FAFSA even mandatory in order to get loans? I'm working minimum wage and don't have much by way of savings, but my parents are wealthy by FAFSA standards- however, they're still paying for my brother's college tuition, paying rent, and trying to save up $ for their impending retirement. My dad's salary kinda screwed me over $-wise for undergrad, and they paid for that.

Do I need to file for anything else? Will FAFSA mail all the info to my respective law schools? HOW DO THINGS WORK any answers would be appreciated

Finance + me= big hot mess. $ matters freak me out so just trying to arm myself, get knowledgeable and be prepared beforehand.

tsr92

Re: FAFSA/Aid Questions

Postby tsr92 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:24 pm

You should check the financial aid instructions for each school but to get federal loans you will have to fill out the FAFSA. You fill it out as an independent student so you won't need to include your parents info. However, a lot of schools require that you fill out other forms like the need access application if you want other need-based aid. These will probably require your parents info.

When you're filling out the FAFSA, you put in the name and school codes (found on the FAFSA website) and they send the report to the schools.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 pm

tsr92 wrote:You should check the financial aid instructions for each school but to get federal loans you will have to fill out the FAFSA. You fill it out as an independent student so you won't need to include your parents info. However, a lot of schools require that you fill out other forms like the need access application if you want other need-based aid. These will probably require your parents info.

When you're filling out the FAFSA, you put in the name and school codes (found on the FAFSA website) and they send the report to the schools.

Thanks! Good to know I can do it without their info on the FAFSA at least. I think my dad might still be claiming me as a dependent- does that change things at all?

tsr92

Postby tsr92 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Nope, that wouldn't change a thing. When you're filling out the FAFSA, it will classify you as independent based on the fact that you're in a graduate/professional program.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 pm

tsr92 wrote:Nope, that wouldn't change a thing. When you're filling out the FAFSA, it will classify you as independent based on the fact that you're in a graduate/professional program.

THANK YOU!!!!!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 am

I think most schools would still say to put parental info on the FAFSA especially if you're k-jd. I'm almost 30 and put it to be safe. Need access definitely requires it.

Some schools (Cornell specifically, I think maybe Columbia and others) will require you to send your parents tax returns in. And if daddy is getting to use you for a tax cut then I'm pretty sure in the eyes of the federal government and schools then he is obligated to help you pay for tuition. Not sure how deep C+F digs but if they find out you're a dependent but proclaiming independent for financial aid purposes that could be a red flag down the line.

Eta: according to another thread in this very forum it looks like I'm wrong about the dependent/independent stuff because FAFSA considers all grad students independent. But nobody addressed the whole parent claiming you as a dependent thing there so you might want to look into that. Just to be safe I would fill out everything and include all parental info.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 am

BigZuck wrote:I think most schools would still say to put parental info on the FAFSA especially if you're k-jd. I'm almost 30 and put it to be safe. Need access definitely requires it.

Some schools (Cornell specifically, I think maybe Columbia and others) will require you to send your parents tax returns in.

TCR- Even though FAFSA considers grad students independent, some schools require you to put that info in there anyway

Return to “Financial Aid”