Federal Financial Aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Aawaldrop

Federal Financial Aid?

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm a bit late in completing my applications but multiple schools ask if am applying for federal financial aid.'
My situation is that I will have to take some type of loans to pay for school so would this fall under this category?
In addition, this would also require me to fill out the Fafsa form?

vanwinkle

Re: Federal Financial Aid?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:I'm a bit late in completing my applications but multiple schools ask if am applying for federal financial aid.'
My situation is that I will have to take some type of loans to pay for school so would this fall under this category?
In addition, this would also require me to fill out the Fafsa form?

1) If you need loans to pay for school, you should be seeking federal loans, yes. Most schools don't offer private loans sufficient to cover the costs of attending law school, and unless your credit is spectacular, finding external lenders willing to issue private loans will be extremely difficult as well. Nearly everyone who attends law school these days uses federal student loans to pay for at least part of it.

2) If you want federal student loans, then you should certainly fill out the FAFSA. The FAFSA for the 2013-2014 school year should become available in the first week of January. You don't have to complete the FAFSA before applying, just check the box on the applications saying you are, and then finish the FAFSA once it becomes available.

Return to “Financial Aid”