Comparing LRAPs among T-14 Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lsacqueen

Bronze

Comparing LRAPs among T-14

Post by lsacqueen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:12 am

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I know that the rule of thumb is that the better your law school (roughly via USN rankings), the better the LRAP. Can anyone compare in broad strokes the differences between LRAP at HYS vs. CCN vs. MVBP vs. DNCG?

Specifically, I would like to know:
a. what salary you have to make in/under to be eligible (i.e. Yale covers you up to $100k)
b. what degree of flexibility you have in choosing jobs (government vs. ngo vs. policy, etc)
c. how generous the LRAP is generally in paying back your loans
d. any odd stipulations?

fdo15

New

Re: Comparing LRAPs among T-14

Post by fdo15 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am

I'm interested in this too if anyone has any insight. I've done a little bit of research and the only thing I would say is that I'm not sure the quality of the LRAP at various schools is broken down nicely into 3 or 4 school tiers like you're implying, especially on the lower end of the T14. I could be wrong though, I've only looked at a few schools.

The one I know best is Duke. The maximum salary is 75, but if you are over 60 you only get partial assistance. The website also implies that if they run out of money in a given year you can get paid less, which is the concern I have with their plan. Not sure if that has ever happened or if it is likely to happen in the future, we may need a Duke grad to answer that. If so, that adds a degree of unpredictability that would be a problem for me.

Just from looking at Michigan's briefly, it's strong for it's first tier (less than 50), but after that it get's a little weaker. They have a 75+ tier, which is nice, but they don't give much help in that tier.

Berkeley is solid below 65, and not bad for 65-100 from what I can tell (they require 35% of income above 65). 10 year max and no help above 100.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Re: Comparing LRAPs among T-14

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43 am

Michigan's is one of the best in the T14 in that you don't need to be working for a government or whatever. You can join some shitlaw firm and they'll still help you make your payments

Return to “Financial Aid”