Best Way to Ask For Money If You Deferred?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
DebtDoomed

Best Way to Ask For Money If You Deferred?

Postby DebtDoomed » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 am

I figured it can't hurt to ask. Last year I was accepted without scholarship money to a lower T14 and deferred and now I am worrying about how I will pay off a quarter of a million dollars so I figured it doesn't hurt to ask for some scholarship money.

I obviously don't have any leverage from scholarships outside of the school and grades are slightly above median (so not special).

I don't know what to say other than that I love the school, but the financial decision is difficult and that I was hoping to be eligible for scholarship money this year.

rinkrat19

Re: Best Way to Ask For Money If You Deferred?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:59 am

I deferred at NU and still got some money. Fortunately for me, NU lets you make your case in the form of a couple of short essays (300 words or something? Can't recall precisely.) So I talked about how I had never worked in a field that made a lot of money, and how I was taking a financial risk and would still be paying a mortgage back home because the housing market was too shitty to sell my condo, and how I could have gone to the lower-ranked local school for a lower-risk/lower-reward shot at the law but chose NU. Apparently it worked.

I guess if the school doesn't have a mechanism by which you beg for money like NU's essays, you could do basically a begging email to the financial aid office. But obviously with no leverage, it's completely up to them whether they feel like throwing money at you.

DebtDoomed

Re: Best Way to Ask For Money If You Deferred?

Postby DebtDoomed » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 pm

I appreciate the help.

Anyone else have any insight?

Return to “Financial Aid”