Shooting for a scholarship...

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
noodle64322

Shooting for a scholarship...

Postby noodle64322 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Basically, I'm sitting on a 166/3.95 cumulative GPA, and have my eyes set on Michigan, as a top choice. I plan to apply to UCLA, Cornell, Berkeley, and a number of safety schools, but am fearing that even if one of these schools should accept me, I would need to pay full price.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve my chances for scholarship, or do they base it purely on numbers (I am just below the 25%, for Michigan)? Are there any resources that anyone could point me to, in learning about scholarships, and negotiating? I'm searching through these forums, but I might be missing something... it sounds like certain schools (Michigan </3) don't like to negotiate!

cynthiad

Re: Shooting for a scholarship...

Postby cynthiad » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 pm

noodle64322 wrote:Basically, I'm sitting on a 166/3.95 cumulative GPA, and have my eyes set on Michigan, as a top choice. I plan to apply to UCLA, Cornell, Berkeley, and a number of safety schools, but am fearing that even if one of these schools should accept me, I would need to pay full price.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve my chances for scholarship, or do they base it purely on numbers (I am just below the 25%, for Michigan)? Are there any resources that anyone could point me to, in learning about scholarships, and negotiating? I'm searching through these forums, but I might be missing something... it sounds like certain schools (Michigan </3) don't like to negotiate!

retake

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 pm

noodle64322 wrote:Basically, I'm sitting on a 166/3.95 cumulative GPA, and have my eyes set on Michigan, as a top choice. I plan to apply to UCLA, Cornell, Berkeley, and a number of safety schools, but am fearing that even if one of these schools should accept me, I would need to pay full price.

Get a better LSAT. Reverse splitters are in a large supply, your high GPA can be easily replaces with somebody with a similar or higher LSAT. I doubt you will be getting much if any money from your current list, if you get in at all.

I believe Michigan only will negotiate once? IDK though, other know more on that subject than I do.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Michigan told me they don't negotiate when I tried. :'(

But you probably already know your best shot at getting scholarships is going to be to apply to lower ranking schools or retake.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Be a URM

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:59 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Be a URM

noodle64322

Postby noodle64322 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:36 am

Aww... so I don't really have any hope of scholarship, on these schools? Does anyone happen to know if any of them offer need-based grants, when you apply on the FAFSA web site?

I guess I'll probably have to settle for a slightly-worse school :(

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:53 am

noodle64322 wrote:Aww... so I don't really have any hope of scholarship, on these schools? Does anyone happen to know if any of them offer need-based grants, when you apply on the FAFSA web site?

I guess I'll probably have to settle for a slightly-worse school :(

No, don't settle, retake. You're going to settle for a lower ranked school when you could go to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford? Or get a scholarship pretty much everywhere else? Unless you've taken the test 3 times, don't be stupid. There's only one option that you should consider.

Don't waste your GPA. Retake.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:06 am

Yeah, retake is credited if you are aiming for top schools. But as is you should have some lower-T1 full-rides, so if there is a lower T1 in the area you want to end up that offers you a full ride I think that would be about as good an option as any, unless you could maybe bring your score up by 6+ points to have a shot at HYS.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:49 am

most schools will give you some money for your GPA, but not a lot ($5k or maybe $10k per year). retake

Return to “Financial Aid”