NYT Article: Child's Education, but Parents' Crushing Loans

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
annet

NYT Article: Child's Education, but Parents' Crushing Loans

Postby annet » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Child’s Education, but Parents’ Crushing Loans

In one extreme case, student debt, and the constant creditor calls, were mentioned in a suicide note by the stepfather of a young law school graduate. The guilt has been crushing for the graduate.

Teresa Tosh, 56, a mother of five who works for the county government in Tulsa, Okla., had co-signed large graduate and law school loans for one of her sons, Jacob, who has a different last name. In total, he owes more than $200,000 on his federal loans, in addition to more than $100,000 on the private student loans his mother co-signed.

Just another happy smiley story about student loans.

BlueDiamond

Re: NYT Article: Child's Education, but Parents' Crushing Loans

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:10 pm

I sent this to the dean of my school with nothing but the link. No response yet.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm

One 27-year-old man from East Texas, who earned a bachelor’s degree in California, is now nearing graduation with another bachelor’s degree, in Russian literature, from Columbia University. He said he did not know how much debt he and his mother had accumulated in the course of his educational wanderings, sounding almost paralyzed by the prospect of talking to her about it.

If youre gonna get a second bachelor's, why get it in Russian Lit at an incredibly expensive private school in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Teh Fuck?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:09 pm

dr123 wrote:
One 27-year-old man from East Texas, who earned a bachelor’s degree in California, is now nearing graduation with another bachelor’s degree, in Russian literature, from Columbia University. He said he did not know how much debt he and his mother had accumulated in the course of his educational wanderings, sounding almost paralyzed by the prospect of talking to her about it.

If youre gonna get a second bachelor's, why get it in Russian Lit at an incredibly expensive private school in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Teh Fuck?

Yeah stories like that don't help the cause.

"Idiot Protagonist Makes Dumb Decisions, Ends Up Heavily In Debt" isn't the headline we need.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Are people losing their minds with this stuff? I am the last person to tell people not to follow their dreams in college, I can't stand the thought of education becoming little more than a practical job training program, but this is incredible.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Are people losing their minds with this stuff? I am the last person to tell people not to follow their dreams in college, I can't stand the thought of education becoming little more than a practical job training program, but this is incredible.

why the fuck not

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:26 pm

IAFG wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Are people losing their minds with this stuff? I am the last person to tell people not to follow their dreams in college, I can't stand the thought of education becoming little more than a practical job training program, but this is incredible.

why the fuck not

If you don't know why, then it is beyond my ability to explain... some crap about an enlightened citizen, an awareness of the world and your place in it, the concept of inquiry, crap going all the way back to the founding fathers and intellectualism in general.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

why the fuck not

If you don't know why, then it is beyond my ability to explain... some crap about an enlightened citizen, an awareness of the world and your place in it, the concept of inquiry, crap going all the way back to the founding fathers and intellectualism in general.

You really think enlightened citizens, intellectualism and inquiry would die out if college ed became little more than career training?

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:37 pm

IAFG wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

why the fuck not

You really think enlightened citizens, intellectualism and inquiry would die out if college ed became little more than career training?

No, but doing the above certainly wouldn't help further it.

Return to “Financial Aid”