Senioritis

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Chickensoup

Re: Senioritis

Postby Chickensoup » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 am

shntn wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
shntn wrote:
IAFG wrote:Senioritis -> strenuous academic program

omg how retarded can you be

:lol: :lol:

Also QFtruth. K-JDs should consider the burnout factor.

Graduating early bro. Will have 8 months to recover from burnout. I'm not even that burnt out. Just realistic. No need to kill myself over grades when I already achieved my goal of getting into a T14.

Funny how no one has answered my question, though. Can anyone confirm that schools ask for fall grades before awarding merit based scholarships? I don't believe that they do.

I don't think TLS can answer that. No one seems to know so far.

Yeah, I guess not. I figured someone on here already went through this last cycle.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Someone really should answer this question. I'm totally okay with getting straight B's if it doesn't matter.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:05 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Someone really should answer this question. I'm totally okay with getting straight B's if it doesn't matter.

We would if we could, bro. No one knows. All we know is that scholarship stuff is decided largely in the spring and that current undergrads will probably be expected to submit fall grades, especially if the school hasn't made a decision by then. Pretending they will matter seems like the safe bet for the next few weeks.

Maybe take a peek at different schools' financial aid forms to get a better sense of what they require?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

shntn wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Someone really should answer this question. I'm totally okay with getting straight B's if it doesn't matter.

We would if we could, bro. No one knows. All we know is that scholarship stuff is decided largely in the spring and that current undergrads will probably be expected to submit fall grades, especially if the school hasn't made a decision by then. Pretending they will matter seems like the safe bet for the next few weeks.

There is a way we could know. Someone who was admitted last year could chime in and say if they requested that you pay the school and request another transcript be sent to LSAC in January. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that, but I also wouldn't surprised if they just make scholarship considerations on your latest LSDAS GPA because that's the one they have to report. Even if you get C's and D's your fall and spring semester, the school reports your LSDAS median to USNWR and doesn't see those grades until you submit your final transcript in August.

ETA: I'm not saying it's a smart thing to do, but this could useful to someone in the future who is freaking out about getting a B their fall semester.
Last edited by alwayssunnyinfl on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Probably worth the effort to finish strong. Some firms and some judges (for clerkship applications) ask for undergrad transcripts. I doubt under gpa has much of an effect on things in those situations, but why not just get As with a little more effort?

Also, financial aid is given out at random times and in waves, so no one will be really able to answer this on a general level. (I know Northwestern was still handing out scholarships around the summer in the cycle when I applied; UVA handed out scholarships during ASW (and then in waves after that), and UT matched UVA's scholarship a couple of weeks after their ASW.) What I can say is that if you increase your GPA, you might increase your chances at financial aid. (Just send an update when you get your new GPA.)

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:

There is a way we could know. Someone who was admitted last year could chime in and say if they requested that you pay the school and request another transcript be sent to LSAC in January. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that, but I also wouldn't surprised if they just make scholarship considerations on your latest LSDAS GPA because that's the one they have to report. Even if you get C's and D's your fall and spring semester, the school reports your LSDAS median to USNWR and doesn't see those grades until you submit your final transcript in August.

Oh wow, I never even thought about that. So for some K-JDs, the GPAs schools report to USNWR might not necessarily include senior year? :shock:

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. If someone else knows otherwise, please correct me.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm

To chickensoup, someone might very well be able to shed some light on this question, but maybe rename the thread to "Senior year grades considered for scholarships?" or something a little more specific. It might help catch the right eyes.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 pm

shntn wrote:To chickensoup, someone might very well be able to shed some light on this question, but maybe rename the thread to "Senior year grades considered for scholarships?" or something a little more specific. It might help catch the right eyes.

Also it seems odd not to try to get a 4.0 senior year you may raise yourself above median/75's at some places - or in the case you have a personal emergency/job offer and have to delay admission until the next cycle.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
shntn wrote:To chickensoup, someone might very well be able to shed some light on this question, but maybe rename the thread to "Senior year grades considered for scholarships?" or something a little more specific. It might help catch the right eyes.

Also it seems odd not to try to get a 4.0 senior year you may raise yourself above median/75's at some places - or in the case you have a personal emergency/job offer and have to delay admission until the next cycle.

I actually already have a job/got into my dream school. The only thing holding me back right now from pure laziness is financial aid.

@shntn--I will make a new thread with a better title. Good idea.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

I actually already have a job/got into my dream school. The only thing holding me back right now from pure laziness is financial aid.

You can edit this one in the original post.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

You can edit this one in the original post.

Kinda the point...

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Some people aren't megaposting veterans, yo

Return to “Financial Aid”