GradPlus Loan - Adverse Credit History - Do I qualify?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
colbyadd

GradPlus Loan - Adverse Credit History - Do I qualify?

Postby colbyadd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello all! First time poster, long time lurker.
I'm applying to law school for next Fall and will most likely need GradPlus loans. I am not sure if I qualify. According to the Adverse Credit conditions on the GradPlus loan page, I think I do. My credit isn't good by any means, but I have never had any of the following.... You are considered to have an adverse credit history if you are 90 or more
days delinquent on any debt or if, within 5 years of the date of the credit
report, you have been the subject of a default determination, bankruptcy
discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment, or writeoff
of a Federal Student Aid debt (for example, a Direct Loan or Federal
Stafford Loan)."

I have had an account go to collections for a TV bill I didn't pay. I finally paid it off, but on my credit history it shows as a past collection account with a $0 balance. Will this disqualify me? Based on the information above, I would assume no, but I asked the same question to a financial aid guy at a college and he said I may be declined. I'm not sure if I am reading the adverse credit history terms wrong or what, but it doesn't seem like that would disqualify me. Does anyone here have experience with GradPlus loans and similar conditions?

rinkrat19

Re: GradPlus Loan - Adverse Credit History - Do I qualify?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm

You are considered to have an adverse credit history if you are 90 or more days delinquent on any debt or if, within 5 years of the date of the credit
report, you have been the subject of a default determination, bankruptcy discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment, or writeoff
of a Federal Student Aid debt (for example, a Direct Loan or Federal Stafford Loan)."

You aren't 90 days past due on the debt.

You have to have some seriously terrible credit to not get GradPlus loans.

colbyadd

Re: GradPlus Loan - Adverse Credit History - Do I qualify?

Postby colbyadd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 pm

OK great. Thank you. I just needed reassurance!

Return to “Financial Aid”