Loans for foreigners?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
qvorum

Loans for foreigners?

Postby qvorum » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey guys, just got admitted to Georgetown. I do not really expect to get much of a scholarship with my measly 167/3.75. Getting admitted was a bit of a stretch in the first place. I am afraid I am one of them foreign people, so I do not qualify for federal aid. I am also afraid that I do not have an eligible US co-signer for a commercial loan. I am not from a country that offers government assistance to its nationals pursuing a higher degree abroad. Finally, I do not believe there are any sugar daddies from my country out there that can sponsor me. What options do you think I have? Are schools like Georgetown in the practice of giving substantial institutional loans or maybe of acting as a mediator between the student and a bank.

Thanks.

Clarity

Re: Loans for foreigners?

Postby Clarity » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:22 am

Call the financial aid office and ask what the options are for international students.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 am

Why did you not figure this out before applying?

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:36 am

sokomofo wrote:yale and harvard are the only schools that have institutional loans for international students

I think Cornell does as well.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:06 pm

sokomofo wrote:
danitt wrote:
sokomofo wrote:yale and harvard are the only schools that have institutional loans for international students

I think Cornell does as well.

no it doesn't:

"Applicants needing loans may also apply for a private student loan. However, most loans will require a U.S. cosigner with significant credit history. Cornell Law cannot assist in securing a student loan."

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... udents.cfm

I guess it's just the med school then.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:10 pm

qvorum wrote:Hey guys, just got admitted to Georgetown. I do not really expect to get much of a scholarship with my measly 167/3.75. Getting admitted was a bit of a stretch in the first place. I am afraid I am one of them foreign people, so I do not qualify for federal aid. I am also afraid that I do not have an eligible US co-signer for a commercial loan. I am not from a country that offers government assistance to its nationals pursuing a higher degree abroad. Finally, I do not believe there are any sugar daddies from my country out there that can sponsor me. What options do you think I have? Are schools like Georgetown in the practice of giving substantial institutional loans or maybe of acting as a mediator between the student and a bank.

Thanks.

Leverage Georgetown for a full scholarship at T25s; get a loan from your country for the living expenses.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Don't go to law school for full price at Georgetown anyway. Especially not as a foreigner, too high a risk. PM me if you have questions.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I think OP has outed him/herself as unfit for law school

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Shit like this makes me so nervous. I'm an international applicant but I have a cosigner (two!) but I keep praying that nothing happens to either of them in the next few months or I am FUCKED.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:47 pm

danitt wrote:Shit like this makes me so nervous. I'm an international applicant but I have a cosigner (two!) but I keep praying that nothing happens to either of them in the next few months or I am FUCKED.

At least you had enough common sense to sort that out before applying

Dear T14,

thanks for your acceptance. Unfortunately, I never thought about how to pay tuition. I'm sorry for wasting your time and taking up a space.

Yours truly,

Qvorum

P.S. I now want a less than interest mortgage at 110% LTV, a car with $0 down, and buy now pay later arrangements for a flat screen TV, Blu-Ray player and surround sound system. How many credit cards can I get?

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Return to “Financial Aid”