Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby feralinfant » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Just got an acceptance to G-town. Was about to send out an app to George Washington when i got the letter. There's no way I would take GW over Georgetown but is it worth applying anyway in hopes of getting a scholarship for leverage in negotiations with Georgetown. Or will it not really carry very much weight? Basically, is it worth the 80 bucks?

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:34 pm

feralinfant wrote:Just got an acceptance to G-town. Was about to send out an app to George Washington when i got the letter. There's no way I would take GW over Georgetown but is it worth applying anyway in hopes of getting a scholarship for leverage in negotiations with Georgetown. Or will it not really carry very much weight? Basically, is it worth the 80 bucks?


Try to solicit a fee waiver from GW.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby feralinfant » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Asked and answered in different thread.

ChampagnePapi wrote:
feralinfant wrote:I know the consensus is that G-town is stingy, but any thoughts on when we might be able to lock down some scholly info?

Prowling some threads makes it seem like applications for scholarships might start going out in Nov. with a deadline in February. Does this sound right?

Also is your only real shot at leverage an admission/money of some kind to a better school or do you guys think it's worth it to send an app to say, GW in the hopes of getting some money offered for some help in negotiations with Gtown.


No, they won't take a GW offer seriously. You'll need a peer or better.

Financial aid decisions wont' come out until March or April

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:36 pm

feralinfant wrote:Asked and answered in different thread.

ChampagnePapi wrote:
feralinfant wrote:I know the consensus is that G-town is stingy, but any thoughts on when we might be able to lock down some scholly info?

Prowling some threads makes it seem like applications for scholarships might start going out in Nov. with a deadline in February. Does this sound right?

Also is your only real shot at leverage an admission/money of some kind to a better school or do you guys think it's worth it to send an app to say, GW in the hopes of getting some money offered for some help in negotiations with Gtown.


No, they won't take a GW offer seriously. You'll need a peer or better.

Financial aid decisions wont' come out until March or April


OTOH, that guy is an 0L I'd wait for people that have attempted to negotiate.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Dear G-Town:

Please give me money to match an offer at a school ranked way lower than G-Town.

Signed,

Guy who doesn't get how negotiations work

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby feralinfant » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Dear G-Town:

Please give me money to match an offer at a school ranked way lower than G-Town.

Signed,

Guy who doesn't get how negotiations work


i mean my only thought is you might be able to use a massive scholly to get a smaller one. There's a thread somewhere on here where a person had an almost full ride at GW and managed to get 10k a year at G-town but i wasn't sure how typical that was and whether they might have been able to get the 10k regardless.

alpa chino
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby alpa chino » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:47 pm

FWIW, I was exactly in your position several cycles ago, except I had a $105k scholly to GW. I called G-Town and they flat-out told me that they consider their peer schools to be Virginia, Penn, Cornell, etc, NOT GW. They wouldn't budge them to give me a dime. I'd say don't bother.

But if you have a high LSAT you should seriously consider applying to GW for the Dean's Scholarship or whatever it's called now. If I remember, the money was very front-loaded (and included free first-year housing) so you could essentially take a debt-free shot at 2L OCI and then drop out/finish up/whatever depending on the results. That's way better in my opinion than paying sticker for Georgetown OCI.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby feralinfant » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:56 pm

alpa chino wrote:FWIW, I was exactly in your position several cycles ago, except I had a $105k scholly to GW. I called G-Town and they flat-out told me that they consider their peer schools to be Virginia, Penn, Cornell, etc, NOT GW. They wouldn't budge them to give me a dime. I'd say don't bother.

But if you have a high LSAT you should seriously consider applying to GW for the Dean's Scholarship or whatever it's called now. If I remember, the money was very front-loaded (and included free first-year housing) so you could essentially take a debt-free shot at 2L OCI and then drop out/finish up/whatever depending on the results. That's way better in my opinion than paying sticker for Georgetown OCI.


Thanks.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes worth it if you can get a fee waiver, not worth it if you can't.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Asked and answered in different thread.

ChampagnePapi wrote:
feralinfant wrote:I know the consensus is that G-town is stingy, but any thoughts on when we might be able to lock down some scholly info?

Prowling some threads makes it seem like applications for scholarships might start going out in Nov. with a deadline in February. Does this sound right?

Also is your only real shot at leverage an admission/money of some kind to a better school or do you guys think it's worth it to send an app to say, GW in the hopes of getting some money offered for some help in negotiations with Gtown.


No, they won't take a GW offer seriously. You'll need a peer or better.

Financial aid decisions wont' come out until March or April


OTOH, that guy is an 0L I'd wait for people that have attempted to negotiate.


I have attempted to negotiate and have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with GULC for merit aid. Don't make assumptions.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 pm

alpa chino wrote:But if you have a high LSAT you should seriously consider applying to GW for the Dean's Scholarship or whatever it's called now. If I remember, the money was very front-loaded (and included free first-year housing) so you could essentially take a debt-free shot at 2L OCI and then drop out/finish up/whatever depending on the results. That's way better in my opinion than paying sticker for Georgetown OCI.



If he gets that scholarship he probably has numbers for a decent scholarship elsewhere in the T14. Not convinced GW would be a better option in that case - a school where you need to be in the top 20% to get biglaw and is employing 15% of its class.

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Applying to GW for leverage at Georgetown?

Postby senorhosh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:17 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Dear G-Town:

Please give me money to match an offer at a school ranked way lower than G-Town.

Signed,

Guy who doesn't get how negotiations work


Dude obviously he won't get 80k from gulc but 80k from gw is large enough to sway an applicant's decision. It wouldn't be unreasonable for gulc to offer some money, even if it's only 10k-20k. I'd say that's worth the app fee.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest