Paying interest on Gradplus LESS cost efficient?!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mbkc03

Paying interest on Gradplus LESS cost efficient?!

Postby mbkc03 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 am

My math skills are horrible. I called UC Hastings' financial office today and was told that I'd be spending more money paying the monthly interest on UNSUBSIDIZED Grad PLUS loans versus paying the accrued interest after graduating. I don't understand how this is mathematically possible. The finance officer did mention something about a 4% fee that the feds charge, but I'm not too sure how that plays into this. HELP PLEASE!!

Re: Paying interest on Gradplus LESS cost efficient?!

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

How would you be making those interest payments? With loan money?
By using loans to pay interest on loans you are paying interest plus 4% on money that you really don't need. It is probably more efficient to take out the minimum amount of loans you need to sustain yourself and let interest accrue than to take out extra money that you plan on using to pay down debt.

mbkc03

Re: Paying interest on Gradplus LESS cost efficient?!

Postby mbkc03 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:06 pm

2014 wrote:How would you be making those interest payments? With loan money?
By using loans to pay interest on loans you are paying interest plus 4% on money that you really don't need. It is probably more efficient to take out the minimum amount of loans you need to sustain yourself and let interest accrue than to take out extra money that you plan on using to pay down debt.

I took out more money than I needed.

Return to “Financial Aid”