Can I defer UG student loans?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Adam Banks

Can I defer UG student loans?

Postby Adam Banks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm taking a year off between UG and LS and was wondering if I can difer my loans.
I'm currently studying for my LSAT and not working, so by the time my grace period comes up I won't have much money to pay off my payments. I was wondering if I can call them and explain my situation and just collect the interest until I'm out of law school?

anonymouse2828

Re: Can I defer UG student loans?

Postby anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 pm

how large are your UG loans? My UG loans only had about a $55/month payment. Also, you can easily take a p/t job after LSATs, or even during your LSAT studies. 20hrs/wk is nothing. If you can't swing 20hrs/wk of p/t work while studying for the LSAT, how are you going to pull the expected 80/wk law school commitment and subsequent legal job?

As for deferment, you can call now and ask about it, but it seems unlikely since you're not actively seeking a job. Also, defrauding the system by saying you can't find a job is bad for character and fitness, since that's recorded on your loan record.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymouse2828

Postby anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:52 pm

losing 6-mo deferment would really suck after law school while you're studying for the BAR. Plan ahead.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm

You should get a job. What are you going to tell employers when they ask what you did during your year off?

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 pm

anonymouse2828 wrote:how large are your UG loans? My UG loans only had about a $55/month payment. Also, you can easily take a p/t job after LSATs, or even during your LSAT studies. 20hrs/wk is nothing. If you can't swing 20hrs/wk of p/t work while studying for the LSAT, how are you going to pull the expected 80/wk law school commitment and subsequent legal job?

As for deferment, you can call now and ask about it, but it seems unlikely since you're not actively seeking a job. Also, defrauding the system by saying you can't find a job is bad for character and fitness, since that's recorded on your loan record.

Oh I was thinking they would be big payments. I only have about 20k in loans. So that shouldn't be to bad of a monthly payment.

Return to “Financial Aid”