GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby anonymouse2828 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:17 am

GI Bill Ch33 is post 9/11 GI bill. Benefits last for 15yrs after end of active service, and can collect up to 36 months of benefits under ch33, or 48 months total if transitioning from another program (ie Ch1607)

So, from what I've gathered:

1. apply online (how to I provide additional docs like DD-214? online uploader is broken)
2. receive NOBE (email? snail mail? how long does it take?)
3. apply at school's VA office, fill out certification form, submit to VA office for funding
4. Repeat certification every semester

Hardest part seems to be step 1. Anyone know how long that takes?
Also, as for eligibility, does time in training (incurred after 9/11/01) count towards total active duty time? or is it just active duty time spent other than training? website doesn't specify.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:14 am

1. Google VA Ebenefits and get a DS login. This requires a CAC reader, Mypay Login, or a visit to DEERS and than click the link to apply for education benefits.
2. Takes a few days, you print it out from the online library of documents.
3. The school will have a form you fill out, they will contact to VA and take care of it.

Only Title 10 call ups count for service. (National Guard state time as well) until you hit two years. At that point IADT gets added in.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby anonymouse2828 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks, I applied via the online application, but couldn't upload my DD214... I figure they'll contact me about it, else I'll have to restart it when I get to school (abroad right now). I'll see if they get back to me regarding my DD214, or if they're actually linked up and can just pull up my DD214.

I guess this means I can claim 50% benefits. Better than nothing I guess. is it 50% for everything? so 50% of the tuition allowance, and 50% of the housing allowance?

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 am

anonymouse2828 wrote:Thanks, I applied via the online application, but couldn't upload my DD214... I figure they'll contact me about it, else I'll have to restart it when I get to school (abroad right now). I'll see if they get back to me regarding my DD214, or if they're actually linked up and can just pull up my DD214.

I guess this means I can claim 50% benefits. Better than nothing I guess. is it 50% for everything? so 50% of the tuition allowance, and 50% of the housing allowance?


I uploaded mine over a week ago but have not gotten confirmation of anything yet. I am going to call later today and talk to them on the phone.

I think you have to be at 100% before you get the housing allowance but not sure.

If you PM me a list of anything you want me to ask them I will and then get back to you or post it here. (Might as well get extra questions in since I am sure I will be on hold for an hour or more.)

JC

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:54 am

SemperLegal wrote:1. Google VA Ebenefits and get a DS login. This requires a CAC reader, Mypay Login, or a visit to DEERS and than click the link to apply for education benefits.
2. Takes a few days, you print it out from the online library of documents.
3. The school will have a form you fill out, they will contact to VA and take care of it.

Only Title 10 call ups count for service. (National Guard state time as well) until you hit two years. At that point IADT gets added in.


Semper, which site has this?

dvjn69
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby dvjn69 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 am

Having just gone through this process, this is (not surprisingly) the VA's busy time of the year for dealing with GI Bill claims (Montgomery or Post-9/11). If you need it, do your app NOW. They will send you snail mail correspondance a few weeks later asking for more information. A few weeks after that, you'll receive your Cert. of Eligibility. It's a long, slow process. I applied in April and received my Cert in late June. If you have any forms (DD-214's, etc) that could help prove your eligibility, I would definitely find the regional office for your area (mine is the Atlanta regional office for much of the southeast) and send them your proof via certified mail with a return receipt.

Seriously, get this done yesterday.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby anonymouse2828 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 am

I know you can get backpay for up to 6mo or a year... I'm in no rush for money, so as long as it's done eventually, then that'll be fine.

I'm also out of the country until beginning of AUG, so hard to send anything. stupid form couldn't be uploaded, POS. I'll probably just call them about it then.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby anonymouse2828 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 am

Okay, spoke to some people there. Apparently, you can goto the Gibill website and "ask a question." You can upload docs there, and they said it takes about 6-8wks for the NOBE to be issued. WTF?

Anyways, I'm in no rush, so the chunk of change should be a nice xmas present.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 am

JCFindley wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:1. Google VA Ebenefits and get a DS login. This requires a CAC reader, Mypay Login, or a visit to DEERS and than click the link to apply for education benefits.
2. Takes a few days, you print it out from the online library of documents.
3. The school will have a form you fill out, they will contact to VA and take care of it.

Only Title 10 call ups count for service. (National Guard state time as well) until you hit two years. At that point IADT gets added in.


Semper, which site has this?



E-benefits does. They uploaded my service record book a few weeks after separation and the DD-214s were buried in there (Reservist, so I have three) but I have to request a DD-215 to show that the total times adds up to >3 years. I think that at some point I had to tell the VA to request it from the USMC.


OP the 50% is 50% of everything, TA, BAH, book stipend, etc.

Either way, be advised that VA payouts are notoriously slow, so make sure you either notify the school and work out a forbearance, or be prepared to prepay the balance.


ETA: https://eauth.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/e ... umentsMain

Request Official Military File

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby anonymouse2828 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Yeah, I know they're notoriously slow. I already got a loan to pay for everything, plus I got savings for backup. VA money will just be used to payback the loans early... once I get the VA money.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:20 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:1. Google VA Ebenefits and get a DS login. This requires a CAC reader, Mypay Login, or a visit to DEERS and than click the link to apply for education benefits.
2. Takes a few days, you print it out from the online library of documents.
3. The school will have a form you fill out, they will contact to VA and take care of it.

Only Title 10 call ups count for service. (National Guard state time as well) until you hit two years. At that point IADT gets added in.


Semper, which site has this?



E-benefits does. They uploaded my service record book a few weeks after separation and the DD-214s were buried in there (Reservist, so I have three) but I have to request a DD-215 to show that the total times adds up to >3 years. I think that at some point I had to tell the VA to request it from the USMC.


OP the 50% is 50% of everything, TA, BAH, book stipend, etc.

Either way, be advised that VA payouts are notoriously slow, so make sure you either notify the school and work out a forbearance, or be prepared to prepay the balance.


ETA: https://eauth.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/e ... umentsMain

Request Official Military File


Thanks Semper.

I will get in contact with the school this week since I am not in a position to pay then get paid back. (I applied for a loan so will see if that comes in time.)

I will see if the have my 214s as it would be nice to have them. (I have enough to show the three years with me though.)

Thanks again.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:13 pm

I contacted my school today and informed them of my holdup with the VA and they are good waiting for the payment.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get books until then.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 pm

JCFindley wrote:I contacted my school today and informed them of my holdup with the VA and they are good waiting for the payment.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get books until then.


A few (2?) years back the VA gave interest free loan of $2,000 for these cases, upon request. It came out of the next few months BAH. Though to be fair, I would rather pay rent than books.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I contacted my school today and informed them of my holdup with the VA and they are good waiting for the payment.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get books until then.


A few (2?) years back the VA gave interest free loan of $2,000 for these cases, upon request. It came out of the next few months BAH. Though to be fair, I would rather pay rent than books.


I have inlaws in NYC so I have a basement or a couch until we get moved in but I don't want to fall behind in the reading.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:00 pm

So they completely ignored one of the DD214s I uploaded and my letter says I am 60% eligible. I wonder how long it will take to fix that.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm

JCFindley wrote:So they completely ignored one of the DD214s I uploaded and my letter says I am 60% eligible. I wonder how long it will take to fix that.



Fax the DD-214 and a cover letter to 9187817863. Supposedly it goes quicker.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:57 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
JCFindley wrote:So they completely ignored one of the DD214s I uploaded and my letter says I am 60% eligible. I wonder how long it will take to fix that.



Fax the DD-214 and a cover letter to 9187817863. Supposedly it goes quicker.


Thanks Semper.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: GI Bill Ch33 - anyone here know the exact process?

Postby JCFindley » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:57 pm

OK, one of my 214s didn't count because it was title 32 time.

Title 32 time counts IF;

"Includes Active Service performed by National Guard members under title 32 U.S.C. for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training the National Guard; or under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency."

So, now I have to go about proving that time was used for such things but since I was Chief of Training and also in scheduling during that time it should count under those stipulations. I also have pretty close to 3 years of title 10 anyway but have to track down a bunch more 214s, one for each activation to title 10.

This should be a hoot.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest