What score do I need to get a scholarship?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
poppy

What score do I need to get a scholarship?

Postby poppy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 am

I am a Female Hispanic. I have a 3.77 GPA. Graduated Advertising. Worked full time while at school full time - from 2008 to 2010. Continued to work until 2012, of which 1 year was spent abroad doing research. Then I quit this year to do a 6 month internship at a law office and study for the LSAT.
I am fully bi-lingual (Spanish and English) and I'm at an intermediate level French and Italian speaker.

Now I don't necessarily want to go to a T14 school, I just want to know what is the minimum score I need to get on the LSAT to get a scholarship (preferably full scholarship) at a decent school. I do not qualify for need basis scholarships nor grants, but I do not want to graduate with a high amount of debt.

dingbat

Re: What score do I need to get a scholarship?

Postby dingbat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 am

The issue here is "decent school"
There are TTTs that will give you a full ride if you score over 153, but you don't want to go to those schools. The fact is, schools use scholarships to buy higher scores (a dean of financial aid at a reputable school has admitted this to me, and I've heard the same reported by others)

Take a look at the 25/75 percentiles for the schools you're interested in. Generally speaking, if your numbers (both LSAT & GPA) are above the school's range, you can expect a big scholarship.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 am

poppy wrote:I am a Female Hispanic. I have a 3.77 GPA.

dingbat wrote:Take a look at the 25/75 percentiles for the schools you're interested in. Generally speaking, if your numbers (both LSAT & GPA) are above the school's range, you can expect a big scholarship.

I am betting she could get good money without scoring above the 75th

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 am

Bedsole wrote:
poppy wrote:I am a Female Hispanic. I have a 3.77 GPA.

dingbat wrote:Take a look at the 25/75 percentiles for the schools you're interested in. Generally speaking, if your numbers (both LSAT & GPA) are above the school's range, you can expect a big scholarship.

I am betting she could get good money without scoring above the 75th

sorry, I forgot about the URM. scores at median will already get OP money. Take a look at the URM forum for more detail, they're much more familiar with that than I am

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 pm

OP: Varies by law school. Name specific law schools to which you intend to apply. Broadly speaking, however, you need to score in the low 160s to get a substantial scholarship as an Hispanic female with a stron GPA to a Tier One (top 50) law school. Above 166 could get scholarship money at a few T-14 law schools.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:27 pm

3.77 Hispanic (where?)

Gets you into the t14 with anything around a 170.

Then, I'd say anything over 172 and you should expect to at least see some t14 money.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 pm

OP: If you are Mexican-American or Puerto Rican, you'll get a hefty URM boost from admissions. 170 or higher is not necessary for admission to the T-14 if Mexican-American or Puerto Rican with a 3.77 GPA (although a 3.81 GPA could make a difference).

Get a 172 or above and you can forget about scholarships to the T-14 as you'll be receiving need based aid from a top 3 if Puerto Rican or Mexican-American.

poppy

Postby poppy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies, it has been really helpful. I'm Puerto Rican but I don't qualify for a need basis scholarship.

I was thinking of applying to the University of Miami, but now I'm not so sure it qualifies as a decent school. I've been scoring high 160s and low 170s on my prognostics tests so maybe if I keep up my studying I'll be able to set my hopes higher, maybe UMich? I like that they have the summer start program and their curriculum is fairly globalized and has a nice focus on international law - which is what I want.

In a perfect world where I would actually score above 170 - I really like Columbia, but I'm not so sure I'd get a scholarship there so I haven't let myself get too into their whole program and school.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:08 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com

TopHatToad

Postby TopHatToad » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:12 pm

poppy wrote:Thanks for the replies, it has been really helpful. I'm Puerto Rican but I don't qualify for a need basis scholarship.

I was thinking of applying to the University of Miami, but now I'm not so sure it qualifies as a decent school. I've been scoring high 160s and low 170s on my prognostics tests so maybe if I keep up my studying I'll be able to set my hopes higher, maybe UMich? I like that they have the summer start program and their curriculum is fairly globalized and has a nice focus on international law - which is what I want.

In a perfect world where I would actually score above 170 - I really like Columbia, but I'm not so sure I'd get a scholarship there so I haven't let myself get too into their whole program and school.

Well then you definitely have that URM boost. From your PTs, your sights should definitely be set higher, think T14 for sure. Most likely, with the URM boost, if you can hit a school's medians for GPA and LSAT (or be very close), you're looking at a solid scholarship. Likewise, hit in the high 160's and you're possible at the top three.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:42 pm

poppy wrote:Thanks for the replies, it has been really helpful. I'm Puerto Rican but I don't qualify for a need basis scholarship.

Your scores are great, and you should get money from quite a few schools if you get 170+...but please do not count on being an URM at Miami. The numbers are high due to geographic location (IMO) rather than them actively recruiting Latinos... http://www.miami.edu/index.php/about_us ... ity_at_um/
Take the money and go some place with seasons. :wink: Best of luck! :)

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:12 pm

OP: apply everywhere. Don't let the fear you won't get financial aid keep you from applying. As this year's cycle as shows, some people are getting more money than they thought at the beginning of the cycle. Apply and get accepted and then worry about negotiating for money. The more acceptances you get the more you can pit schools against each other to negotiate for more aid.

TLS can help you with every step of this process. Stick with this forum and you will be doing well.

As for the LSAT, use the forums here to help you with studying. Remember you can retake if you don't do as well as you want the first time.

Return to “Financial Aid”