In need of some advice regarding merit aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Dawak1

In need of some advice regarding merit aid

Postby Dawak1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:34 pm

I was accepted to Fordham PT a couple of weeks ago, and I paid my full deposit ($1000) last week. Fordham is my top choice, but due to familial circumstances I will be requesting to transfer to Full time asap (this is a separate issue I guess but its also a factor). Fordham and SMU are the only two schools I applied to and Fordham was my top choice for obvious reasons (also I would strongly prefer to work in NYC ultimately). These schools were my only viable options for law school because I have family in both cities that I can live with during law school.

I was fully intending on attending Fordham (hopefully as FT) but just a couple days ago I received an admissions offer along with a 25k per year Deans Scholarship from SMU FT (I applied super late). From Fordham I have received a 7k merit scholarship (LSAT is above median but GPA is below). Fordham is still processing my fin aid so I am uncertain of what kind of need based aid I may receive (I most certainly need it, my families expected contribution is 0).

I was looking for some advice on how to properly negotiate merit aid with Fordham. I would prefer to attend Fordham (currently admitted as a PT student) but the offer from SMU is very enticing, given the scholarship and the fact that it is FT division. SMU has excellent employment prospects/reputation in dallas and I would happily live there. Ideally however I would attend fordham FT with a decent amount of aid. In terms of etiquette what is the best way to discuss all of this with fordham? a phone call? If I e-mail them them do I need to attach my scholarship offer letter from SMU as proof? Is that even necessary?

Any advice is appreciated.

dingbat

Re: In need of some advice regarding merit aid

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Dawak1 wrote:I would prefer to attend Fordham (currently admitted as a PT student) but the offer from SMU is very enticing, given the scholarshipand the fact that it is FT division. [/b]SMU has excellent employment prospects/reputation in dallas and I would happily live there. Ideally however I would attend fordham FT with a decent amount of aid.

Just tell them this.
Send an email.

dailygrind

Re: In need of some advice regarding merit aid

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:03 am

Don't make duplicate threads while the other is still fresh.

Return to “Financial Aid”