IBR marriage

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
HarlandBassett

IBR marriage

Postby HarlandBassett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:41 pm

i was under the impression that premarital debt was not considered marital debt. then i read this on Campos' blog

"Of course the way the government has set up IBR, if you do get married someday, your non-debt owing spouse (assuming no student loans) salary will get counted towards your monthly payment. I hear you though."

i also remember JDPainter's wife was legally responsible for his LS debt (although i am not sure whether that debt was incurred during or before marriage).

someone explain please. thanks

The Duck

Re: IBR marriage

Postby The Duck » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Even if the debt isn't marital the salary earned during the marriage is. Why wouldn't they count it towards IBR? Not sure how a spouse would become individually obligated without signing a promissory note. That doesn't sound right.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Yea that sounds kind of questionable.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:51 pm

My understanding is that your spouse is NEVER responsible for your premarital student loan debt. However, your spouse's income COULD be considered in calculating your payments under IBR. You can prevent this by filing separately. However, if you live in a community property state, even filing separately doesn't help -- so just don't live in a community property state or if you do, don't make the marriage legal.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Yet another reason why anyone who gets married is a moron.

There are very few scenarios where getting married is actually a good idea.
As far as taxes, it is basically only if you are going to be a one income household.
As far as health insurance, many employers cover partners also.
If you might be eligible for welfare programs, you can come out way ahead by being two singles (with kids!).

If you want the protections of family court, then just write a contract about your relationship and who will arbitrate when you break up. I'm sure it will be easier than family court.

If you want your priest to bless your relationship, just get married in church and don't register it with the county.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Just argued with the wife about how it would be better for us to get a divorce rather than to file our taxes jointly or to file married filing separately for IBR purposes.

After crying and yelling, she hung upon me.

Good times.

lol

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 pm

cinephile wrote:My understanding is that your spouse is NEVER responsible for your premarital student loan debt. However, your spouse's income COULD be considered in calculating your payments under IBR. You can prevent this by filing separately. However, if you live in a community property state, even filing separately doesn't help -- so just don't live in a community property state or if you do, don't make the marriage legal.

sounds reasonable...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
Just argued with the wife about how it would be better for us to get a divorce rather than to file our taxes jointly or to file married filing separately for IBR purposes.

Good times.

lol

I would yell at my husband for recommending tax fraud through fraudulent divorce too. The IRS attorneys are fucking scary.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:42 pm

ben4847 wrote:Yet another reason why anyone who gets married is a moron.

As far as taxes, it is basically only if you are going to be a one income household.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/16a ... 6a68868/40

(yes I am a CPA)

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 am

Go to law school where the school (1) will make the payments for you for the 10 years it takes to qualify for debt forgiveness (assuming you work for a nonprofit) and (2) will not account for spousal income when figuring out whether you qualify for its LRAP.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:21 am

IAFG wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:

Good times.

lol

I would yell at my husband for recommending tax fraud through fraudulent divorce too. The IRS attorneys are f---ing scary.

Not as scary as your wife after you bring this up.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:26 am

Did you just censor IAFGs post? Lololololololol

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:28 am

romothesavior wrote:Did you just censor IAFGs post? Lololololololol

I spent a couple minutes trying to come up with an understandable explanation. Didn't think of anything.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 am

IAFG wrote:I would yell at my husband for recommending tax fraud through fraudulent divorce too. The IRS attorneys are fucking scary.

You have a h usband?

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 am

IAFG wrote:

I spent a couple minutes trying to come up with an understandable explanation. Didn't think of anything.

I've been doing that for years; stop acting surprised.

Yes, I don't talk like that. Or write like that. And I think its funny to edit it out.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:59 pm

ben4847 wrote:Yet another reason why anyone who gets married is a moron.

There are very few scenarios where getting married is actually a good idea.
As far as health insurance, many employers cover partners also.
If you might be eligible for welfare programs, you can come out way ahead by being two singles (with kids!).

If you want the protections of family court, then just write a contract about your relationship and who will arbitrate when you break up. I'm sure it will be easier than family court.

If you want your priest to bless your relationship, just get married in church and don't register it with the county.

This is a fabulous post. Quick question: Wouldn't the decision to add a partner to your plan lie on the health insurance company rather than the company who employs you?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

ben4847 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I've been doing that for years; stop acting surprised.

Yes, I don't talk like that. Or write like that. And I think its funny to edit it out.

Well we think it is funny that you edit out potty words from other people's posts like a pretentious ass. And no one knows who you are. Stop acting surprised

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:Well we think it is funny that you edit out potty words from other people's posts like a pretentious ass. And no one knows who you are. Stop acting surprised

Sounds like IAFG knows who he is?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:39 pm

dresden doll wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Well we think it is funny that you edit out potty words from other people's posts like a pretentious ass. And no one knows who you are. Stop acting surprised

I know him only as "that pretentious ass who edited swears out of my post once." I do know who lukertin is though, and find his return infinitely more interesting.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Well we think it is funny that you edit out potty words from other people's posts like a pretentious a--. And no one knows who you are. Stop acting surprised

I know him only as "that pretentious a-- who edited swears out of my post once." I do know who lukertin is though, and find his return infinitely more interesting.

Right, he knows that I do it.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm

IAFG wrote:I know him only as "that pretentious ass who edited swears out of my post once." I do know who lukertin is though, and find his return infinitely more interesting.

Why is my return "interesting" to you?

Return to “Financial Aid”