International Financial Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40 pm

International Financial Aid

Postby guitar519 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi guys,

I just got accepted off the waiting list and really excited for law school. However, as it is for many of us, the financial part of it is not only worrisome but it is a huge obstacle here.

I'm a Canadian citizen and want to study in California. I wasn't offered any entrence scholarships. I currently have the first year covered through private loans from a bank in Canada ($50K plus some from personal savings) but after that... is kind of unknown. The tuition for the day program is $42K/year. Second year, the bank has offered $30K and that's pretty much max I can borrow from here.

I inquired about FAFSA and private bank loans and they said that as long as I have a SSN, I can apply. In order to get a SSN, I need to work on campus/off-campus which could be potentially done.

I'm also planning on transferring to evening program after first year ($28k/year) just so I could afford it a little bit better.

Does anyone else have any experience in this area?... Is this doable?

PS: I know that not going is an option here and I am considering it. Just want some input :)


Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:35 am

Re: International Financial Aid

Postby namie_diary » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I was wondering about that too as a international student how can we get financial aid.

The Fiend

Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: International Financial Aid

Postby The Fiend » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 am

Financial aid for Canadians is pretty limited - private bank loans in Canada (like those you mention) and typically a limited amount of provincial loans from your home province, depending on the school you are going to (in Ontario, this amount is a maximum of 5 thousand or so from OSAP, or something like that).

Basically, from what I understand: if you plan to go to a US law school, you're counting on bank loans from Canadian banks, and any kind of institutional aid (merit or need based) your particular school has to offer.


Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: International Financial Aid

Postby anonymouse2828 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:23 am

On a F-1 visa, you need authorization from your school to work, only then will you be granted a SSN and permission from immigration to work. Work also needs to be for school credit I think... Basically, I don' tthink any law school will allow/have this available as an option.

Basically, as an international student, you'll be paying for everything w/o any source of income. Under the table work, which most jr/ college students do, is also a serious ding on CF, so no go there.

BTW, if you're paying full sticker, not a transfer student, and not at a T14, then you better rethink some things...


Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 am

Re: International Financial Aid

Postby lalit34 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 am

Amazing ideas described here . IEFA is the premier resource for financial aid .The key to determining eligibility for financial aid is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA .If you also want to keep up-to-date with all things to do with international financail aid, you should make sure you visit the Following link... thanks......



Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: International Financial Aid

Postby _crystal_m » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:06 pm

My girlfriend just finished law school and she's from Canada. She got $50,000 from RBC. $5000 per year from osap. The rest was paid for with scholarships from her school.

She got her ssn and was able to work, but only in the legal field. There was also little to no time for working. If she did work it was a max of 20 hours per week.

Us loan companies denied her. She did not qualify for fafsa.

Do you have a rsp?

User avatar

Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: International Financial Aid

Postby jing87 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Loan has nothing to do with your ssn. In order to apply for US federal loan, you have to be an US citizen or permanent residence. The only way to get private loan in US is having an US citizen or permanent residence as your co-signer.

Return to “Financial Aid�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests