Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
transferquery
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby transferquery » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 am

I'm applying to transfer to several schools that make use of Need Access for aid determinations, and I was wondering whether it's even worth the hassle to acquire my parents' financial information and fill out the need access forms if my parents make over 250k a year.

Edit: The concern here is whether my parents' salaries make it such that I wouldn't receive any aid through need access.

heeloftar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby heeloftar » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 am

.
Last edited by heeloftar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby dingbat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:44 am

Some schools require Need Access in order to qualify for any aid, including merit scholarships.

Some schools require disclosure of parental income regardless of age.
If you are independent, contact the school about either getting a waiver or filing an addendum

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 am

is it that hard to fill out some forms? just have your personal assistant do it.

User avatar
transferquery
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby transferquery » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 am

Difficulty of filling out forms aside, I don't want to make my parents go through their files and get me the information that they'd need to provide if the end result is $0. Cute personal assistant jab, though.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:35 am

dingbat wrote:Some schools require Need Access in order to qualify for any aid, including merit scholarships.

Some schools require disclosure of parental income regardless of age.
If you are independent, contact the school about either getting a waiver or filing an addendum
This.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:35 am

I think they ask for you parents shit in cases where you would magically become independently wealthy. Definitely fill it out if you're an independent woman with some needs.

User avatar
StrictlyBusiness
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am

I called financial aid at several T14 schools I applied to to ask this question, they pretty much all said that if you didn't do it they'd assume your parents were Scrooge McDucking it all day long.

Their income didn't hurt me too much with the exception of NYU which gave me a grand total of $0 despite numbers that I thought should have given me something decent. So yeah, worth completing.

lawgrl14
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby lawgrl14 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 pm

This might be a dumb question, but is this a form you'd submit with an application, after being offered admission or either? I assumed since they aren't included in school's "checklists" that they would be submitted after an offer is extended. No?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby dingbat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:17 pm

lawgrl14 wrote:This might be a dumb question, but is this a form you'd submit with an application, after being offered admission or either? I assumed since they aren't included in school's "checklists" that they would be submitted after an offer is extended. No?

I completed my need access around the time that I submitted my apps.
It's separate/independent from the regular application, so you can do it whenever you feel like.
I just wanted to get everything done as soon as possible

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
lawgrl14 wrote:This might be a dumb question, but is this a form you'd submit with an application, after being offered admission or either? I assumed since they aren't included in school's "checklists" that they would be submitted after an offer is extended. No?

I completed my need access around the time that I submitted my apps.
It's separate/independent from the regular application, so you can do it whenever you feel like.
I just wanted to get everything done as soon as possible

lol whose income did you provide? the federal government?

/SHITBOOMER

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby dingbat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:55 pm

fatduck wrote:
dingbat wrote:
lawgrl14 wrote:This might be a dumb question, but is this a form you'd submit with an application, after being offered admission or either? I assumed since they aren't included in school's "checklists" that they would be submitted after an offer is extended. No?

I completed my need access around the time that I submitted my apps.
It's separate/independent from the regular application, so you can do it whenever you feel like.
I just wanted to get everything done as soon as possible

lol whose income did you provide? the federal government?

/SHITBOOMER

The Social Security Office provides my aid.
Their finances are quite shakey these days.
Although, that just means they'll keep raising your taxes to pay my benefits, then cancel the program just before you retire.

User avatar
wolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Need Access Worth Completing? Parents make 250+/yr

Postby wolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm

...................




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest