Asking for more money, TWICE?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
GD123
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Asking for more money, TWICE?

Postby GD123 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm basically wondering how to phrase asking a school to raise their scholarship offer a second time.
So here's how my situation played out.
I was trying to decide between Chicago-Kent and Brooklyn Law. Kent was offering me $$ while Brooklyn wasn't. I emailed Brooklyn saying that I wanted to go there, but I couldn't do so without more money. They topped Kent's offer. A few minutes ago Kent just emailed me upping Brooklyn's offer (I never emailed Kent asking anything they just did this on their own).

SO, as I said, is it possible for me to somehow politely/not-awkwardly ask Brooklyn for more $ again? Idk how I would even phrase this. "Hey, thanks for the big jump from your original offer...do it again please".

I figure some of you guys must have had schools going back and forth like this so I'm just trying to get some insight as to how I can approach them again.

Thanks.

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Asking for more money, TWICE?

Postby hadisious » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Don't be worried about this, people do it all the time. Something along the lines of...

"Dear Brooklyn. Thanks for considering my scholarship request. Due to the current law market, financial concerns are playing a major factor in my ultimate decision. That being said, I am writing to disclose another competing offer to attend Chicago Kent. While I sincerely appreciate the generosity of Brooklyn's current offer, I am wondering if there is any additional funding available..."

Add some stuff about why you want to be at Brooklyn, but cannot without significant financial help. Don't be afraid to lay out the numbers to compare. Just be polite doing so. Financial aid offices understand what a major undertaking this is. Good luck.

T14HopefulAK
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Asking for more money, TWICE?

Postby T14HopefulAK » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 am

I'm in the same boat and don't know what to do or how to approach it! Got into University of Utah and Univ. of MD. (no scholly at either)

Emailed Utah about MD admission decision and asked if they could offer me any money since I wanted to go there. They came back and offered $7k (if I m classifies as in state) or $15k (If I m classified as out of state) given I withdraw from all other waitlists.

Meanwhile, when I emailed MD asking for some money w/o the Utah $$ offer, they emailed me back that they could not offer me any money right as of now.

I want to go back and ask Utah if they can up the scholly atleast for another semester, any tips on how to go about this? Also, I emailed MD again this morning saying I had the $15k offer from UT.

Thanks!

LSAT 150/ 3.69 (LSAC GPA)




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests