FAFSA: Is it safe to presume it's the same?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ionoiforgot

FAFSA: Is it safe to presume it's the same?

Postby ionoiforgot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 pm

I just got off the wait list for BC. While I originally was set on UW, I'm probably going to withdraw from there and accept the offer at BC. However, I only noticed recently that BC has a NeedAccess application, on top of the FAFSA documents. I submitted it, but it won't be for a few days before it shows as "submitted" with the financial aid office. Unfortunately, I have till Friday to make a decision and postmark my deposit to BC.

If I've received some FAFSA loan money from UW, would it be safe to presume that when documents are processed, I would be eiligble for the same amount at BC? Or perhaps should I not be so presumptive?

rinkrat19

Re: FAFSA: Is it safe to presume it's the same?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Your loans, a combination of unsubsidized Stafford loans and Grad Plus Direct loans, will cover the cost of attendance at either school, minus any merit scholarships (which you would have already been awarded, I assume) and minus need-based grants (not common).

NeedAccess gives them a more complete picture of your financial situation than FAFSA. (For instance, it takes into account the fact that if you were working this year, you'd be quitting around August and won't have the same income as last year. FAFSA ignores this.)

I suppose the only difference would be that BC might theoretically give you some grant money (be it merit or need-based). The worst they can do is loans covering the entire COA at this point.

ionoiforgot

Re: FAFSA: Is it safe to presume it's the same?

Postby ionoiforgot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Your loans, a combination of unsubsidized Stafford loans and Grad Plus Direct loans, will cover the cost of attendance at either school, minus any merit scholarships (which you would have already been awarded, I assume) and minus need-based grants (not common).

NeedAccess gives them a more complete picture of your financial situation than FAFSA. (For instance, it takes into account the fact that if you were working this year, you'd be quitting around August and won't have the same income as last year. FAFSA ignores this.)

I suppose the only difference would be that BC might theoretically give you some grant money (be it merit or need-based). The worst they can do is loans covering the entire COA at this point.

Thanks for the information! :D

Return to “Financial Aid”