FAFSA award amount Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
beachy

New

FAFSA award amount

Post by beachy » Tue May 22, 2012 9:13 am

I filed FAFSA and am eligible for 20,500 in federal loans. I paid my seat deposit for a school I thought i was going to and they accepted the full 20,500. However, I changed my mind and am now going to a school Id previously been waitlisted for (and have received no financial aid info for yet)...

Do schools always approve the full amount that FAFSA has approved you for?

Kikero

Silver

Re: FAFSA award amount

Post by Kikero » Tue May 22, 2012 9:31 am

beachy wrote:I filed FAFSA and am eligible for 20,500 in federal loans. I paid my seat deposit for a school I thought i was going to and they accepted the full 20,500. However, I changed my mind and am now going to a school Id previously been waitlisted for (and have received no financial aid info for yet)...

I believe it's capped at cost of attendance (which varies school to school). Since you are switching to a school that you were waitlisted at, I assume you aren't getting a ton of scholarship money, so they should offer you the full amount.

beachy

New

Re: FAFSA award amount

Post by beachy » Tue May 22, 2012 9:42 am

Kikero wrote:
beachy wrote:I filed FAFSA and am eligible for 20,500 in federal loans. I paid my seat deposit for a school I thought i was going to and they accepted the full 20,500. However, I changed my mind and am now going to a school Id previously been waitlisted for (and have received no financial aid info for yet)...

I believe it's capped at cost of attendance (which varies school to school). Since you are switching to a school that you were waitlisted at, I assume you aren't getting a ton of scholarship money, so they should offer you the full amount.
No scholarship, but the COA is around 19-20K so Im hoping youre right. Thanks!

Return to “Financial Aid”