Scholarship conundrum Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
futurejdgirl

Bronze

Scholarship conundrum

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon May 07, 2012 4:42 pm

A little about me:

0L - applied to Fulbright and had my heart set on it, but I was rejected the first round probably because I applied to the research one and was competing with Masters students and whatnot.

Just found out I got a scholarship to specifically do a research project for 2-3 months abroad. (Relevant stuff pertaining to law/conflict resolution) This is something I really want to do for a lot of reasons and I have my heart set on it. My problem is that I would only be able to commit to doing it for one month this summer. I was thinking of doing it in the summer and then continue it during winter break with a semester of law school under my belt, I could argue that it'll help my research..

The other problem is that the law school I'll be at only has break from December 15th - January 1st. What should I do?? I thought of trying to get my exams done early but I doubt that's a possibility in law school, right? Plus, would I be considered completely crazy trying to do my exams early? I really want this to work, so any advice is appreciated.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: Scholarship conundrum

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon May 07, 2012 4:44 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:A little about me:

0L - applied to Fulbright and had my heart set on it, but I was rejected the first round probably because I applied to the research one and was competing with Masters students and whatnot.

Just found out I got a scholarship to specifically do a research project for 2-3 months abroad. (Relevant stuff pertaining to law/conflict resolution) This is something I really want to do for a lot of reasons and I have my heart set on it. My problem is that I would only be able to commit to doing it for one month this summer. I was thinking of doing it in the summer and then continue it during winter break with a semester of law school under my belt, I could argue that it'll help my research..

The other problem is that the law school I'll be at only has break from December 15th - January 1st. What should I do?? I thought of trying to get my exams done early but I doubt that's a possibility in law school, right? Plus, would I be considered completely crazy trying to do my exams early? I really want this to work, so any advice is appreciated.
I shamelessly creeped on your LS options, and I believe TCR is to do the research, then get some work experience, retake, and re-apply.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

I shamelessly creeped on your LS options, and I believe TCR is to do the research, then get some work experience, retake, and re-apply.

Haha, I creep all the time. I understand your suggestion but my undergrad GPA will always prevent me from getting into a t-14... (3.01) I really want to make this work so any other suggestions are appreciated.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon May 07, 2012 5:52 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Haha, I creep all the time. I understand your suggestion but my undergrad GPA will always prevent me from getting into a t-14... (3.01) I really want to make this work so any other suggestions are appreciated.
Paging crumps... A 3.01 will by no means keep you out of the t14.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I shamelessly creeped on your LS options, and I believe TCR is to do the research, then get some work experience, retake, and re-apply.
TITCR 3.09 here, in at NU, WL at four other T14s. 3.01 doesn't keep you out of the T14 at all. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=162680

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 pm

So the only suggestion is to retake and wait a year? Really?

I want to do research for 2-3 months. This is the issue at hand. I would appreciate it if someone focused on that instead of convincing me not to go to law school next year. I've seen all those threads and if I wanted advice on that, I'd ask for that.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:So the only suggestion is to retake and wait a year? Really?

I want to do research for 2-3 months. This is the issue at hand. I would appreciate it if someone focused on that instead of convincing me not to go to law school next year. I've seen all those threads and if I wanted advice on that, I'd ask for that.
You must be new to the internet.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:08 pm

If you really want to do the research thing then do it. If you can only do it for 1 month during the summer because you would start law school then you should just do it for the full 2-3 months and retake/reapply. It gives you more reason to retake/reapply (since you can do the full thing you really wanted to do without having law school impede your ability to do it).

Law school will always be there. Do the research thing fully.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I want to do research for 2-3 months. This is the issue at hand. I would appreciate it if someone focused on telling me what I want to hear that instead of convincing me not to go to law school next year. I've seen all those threads and if I wanted advice on that, I'd ask for that.

So why ask?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Mon May 07, 2012 7:43 pm

OP: you can not be in two places at once. What should you do? Put on your big girl pants and make a decision. If you're smart, then that decision will be to retake and reapply.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon May 07, 2012 7:50 pm

oh lawdy. Dear EVERY TLS NOOB EVER: You don't get to dictate a narrow margin within which people are allowed to comment.

OP, don't ask for advice and then be rude because you don't like it. It's unseemly.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon May 07, 2012 7:52 pm

I ask a question, receive unwarranted advice regarding my decision to go to law school and I'm at fault? This forum is starting to become less and less helpful. I don't know why I bothered posting....the "retake or don't go" seems to be the generic one-size-fits-all response for EVERYTHING. TLS might as well make an auto-reply with that quoted.

Thanks all for confirming my belief about the futility of asking for advice on the internet. I genuinely appreciate those of you that did make an effort to address my question.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Why do you want people to tell you to do something that is objectively a shitty life choice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon May 07, 2012 7:54 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:I ask a question, receive unwarranted advice regarding my decision to go to law school and I'm at fault? This forum is starting to become less and less helpful. I don't know why I bothered posting....the "retake or don't go" seems to be the generic one-size-fits-all response for EVERYTHING. TLS might as well make an auto-reply with that quoted.

Thanks all for confirming my belief about the futility of asking for advice on the internet. I genuinely appreciate those of you that did make an effort to address my question.
Not true. We don't tell people to retake when they have good employment prospects.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:I ask a question, receive unwarranted advice regarding my decision to go to law school and I'm at fault? This forum is starting to become less and less helpful. I don't know why I bothered posting....the "retake or don't go" seems to be the generic one-size-fits-all response for EVERYTHING. TLS might as well make an auto-reply with that quoted.

Not true. We don't tell people to retake when they have good employment prospects.

Whoa. So I'm not gonna be making 160k? There are shitty employment prospects for law graduates who don't graduate from the T-14?! So. Freaking. Shocked.

I know what I'm getting into, and fortunately have options if shit hits the fan and I'm homeless after law school. Again, is that the topic of this thread? No. I have lurked on here for years and just recently made an account. I've read all these threads and waded through the countless points of people with situations similar to mine, etc etc etc. Maybe I should include a disclaimer in my signature but the point is, I get it, I've reiterated that fact many times and I don't feel like explaining my personal situation and justifying my decision to go to law school to complete strangers on the internet.

Thank you and if there's anyone with real suggestions for my question, it would be much appreciated and might restore my faith in TLS>

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm

futurejdgirl wrote: Haha, I creep all the time. I understand your suggestion but my undergrad GPA will always prevent me from getting into a t-14... (3.01) I really want to make this work so any other suggestions are appreciated.
This is wrong, and is likely to become more wrong as the law school application pool continues to shrink.

Retake ED UVA. And certainly don't eff up your 1L grades by taking your exams a month earlier than everyone else.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Whoa. So I'm not gonna be making 160k? There are shitty employment prospects for law graduates who don't graduate from the T-14?! So. Freaking. Shocked.

I know what I'm getting into, and fortunately have options if shit hits the fan and I'm homeless after law school. Again, is that the topic of this thread? No. I have lurked on here for years and just recently made an account. I've read all these threads and waded through the countless points of people with situations similar to mine, etc etc etc. Maybe I should include a disclaimer in my signature but the point is, I get it, I've reiterated that fact many times and I don't feel like explaining my personal situation and justifying my decision to go to law school to complete strangers on the internet.

Thank you and if there's anyone with real suggestions for my question, it would be much appreciated and might restore my faith in TLS>
If you have options then pursue those instead of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years of opportunity cost.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Whoa, not sure why you're flipping out. You asked about how to do your research project and fatalistically claimed you couldn't get into a T14. We suggested a way you could do the research program to it fullest potential and get into a T14/maximize your legal employment potential. Seems like a win on all accounts to me.

Retake and reapply is not thrown around blindly or with malice. We say it to encourage people, to put them in the best position to achieve their goals. We say it a lot because it applies a lot and the vast majority of reasons not to retake and reapply are complete bullshit. But if you're the one special snowflake, you can't really make a wrong decision, can you?

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 pm

sundance95 wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote: Haha, I creep all the time. I understand your suggestion but my undergrad GPA will always prevent me from getting into a t-14... (3.01) I really want to make this work so any other suggestions are appreciated.
This is wrong, and is likely to become more wrong as the law school application pool continues to shrink.
futurejdgirl wrote: I know what I'm getting into, and fortunately have options if shit hits the fan and I'm homeless after law school. Again, is that the topic of this thread? No. I have lurked on here for years and just recently made an account. I've read all these threads and waded through the countless points of people with situations similar to mine, etc etc etc.
your research has been poor.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Do the full thing this summer and defer law school for a year at whatever school you are going to now. It doesn't involve retaking or reapplying and you get to do your research plus spend 9 months working to build up some money.

(You should still retake and reapply)

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu May 10, 2012 12:30 am

it sucks to hear, but many of us retook/reapplied. I was admitted to a TTTT with a very small scholarship last year, and almost went. But I found this website, and I decided that I wanted a baller lsat score. So I studied hard, retook twice. Now I'm going to my local T-25 with a full ride. If I can do it, you can too

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Thu May 10, 2012 5:05 am

Well that's great and all but the problem is finding a job that isn't flipping burgers or cleaning bathrooms somewhere. I have applied to many, many jobs when I wasn't getting a response from the school I wanted and pretty much lost hope on the idea that I could work in a relevant way for a year because I was rejected EVERYWHERE...even secretary/receptionist jobs. Yes I could potentially score better on the LSAT but that would require time, dedication and commitment, that if I'm working - AND doing research abroad - I would not have. Even if I make a 168 on the LSAT (which is a tempered expectation) I still won't have a chance at T-14 schools. I'm waitlisted at William & Mary and Emory, but don't think they're worth sticker.

Honestly, I'm eager to run away (for lack of a better phrase at 4 in the morning) from my lsac gpa that has been haunting me since I decided to apply to law school. It has limited me in so, so many ways and it's been an extremely difficult time taking advantage of opportunities, but I finally feel that I have a chance to start over. I took the LSAT twice already as well and scored in the same range. (162) I don't want to give up my research scholarship but it looks like I'll have too unless somehow my law school semester decides to start in September.

Thought about going during the winter for 19 days to supplement one month of research in the summer (requirement to do 2-3 months of research, makes sense, I can't imagine one month being any use). Then I try to fathom the look on my parents face if I tell them I won't be going home for Christmas. Close brush with death with one of my parents this year scared me into being a better child sooo yeah...major guilt trip. Funny how getting this award has been more of a stress than anything else. ANYWAYS, this is turning into some type of emotional rant now so I'll stop and say thanks for the advice. Any other suggestions, welcome.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 am

OP: You're offering too little information.

What are your current US law school options & COA for each school ?

Where do you want to live & work after law school ?

Your numbers have been posted as 162/3.1.

Does the research project relate to your career interests in law ?

Sit out a year & reapply with your current numbers. Results should be better if you apply early since you'll have the funded research project on your resume & because of fewer competing law school applicants next cycle. So, even though you should retake the LSAT, you don't need to in order to improve upon your options for law school.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

I've deposited at American. They gave me a small scholarship to offset costs, I'll be taking out approximately 40k in loans for the first year, including cost of living. I visited, individually met with faculty and I really loved it there.

My other options were:
San Diego - 18k scholarship
Hofstra - full ride
U Miami - sticker
Pepperdine - sticker
UH - sticker (lol)
Baylor - 15k

Waitlist:
Penn State
SMU
Emory
William & Mary

Rejected:
GWU
NYU
Northwestern
Wake Forest

None of these options offered me the location of DC and the option of out of country dual degree programs. I like American enough to stay there for three years (hopefully getting more scholarship the second and third years) but I will see if circumstances permit me to transfer as well.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu May 10, 2012 4:38 pm

American at that price is not a good idea. Research for all of the summer, retake, reapply. Profit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”