Credit Report Disputes

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
FDRSnowball

Credit Report Disputes

Postby FDRSnowball » Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I want to dispute several items on my credit report. What is the recommended way to go about doing this? I recently accessed all three of my credit reports and each reporting company offers an online dispute option. Is this the preferred method? I think it might be quicker and easier if I contact the collection companies directly and dispute the charges over the phone. Has anyone tried this and had any success? Does anyone have any other advice for disputing collections accounts?

Also, I would obviously like to get this done as soon as possible so I can begin an appeal for my gradPLUS loan. If anyone has any advice on how to expedite this process it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DocHawkeye

Re: Credit Report Disputes

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu May 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Use the online tools with the credit reporting agencies (focus on Experian, since that's the only one PLUS loans checks). You can try writing a letter to the creditors but that might not do much. Almost no one will allow a dispute over the telephone.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 pm

your gradplus was already processed and denied?

also when going about disputing things, i obtained my equifax a month ago and disputed certain negative accounts that i have already settled in collections so i disputed saying "I have no contractual or legal obligation to this creditor" which is something i learned from this topic

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=154708

and it all worked out fine

nekha123

Postby nekha123 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 am

FDRSnowball wrote:I want to dispute several items on my credit report. What is the recommended way to go about doing this? I recently accessed all three of my credit reports and each reporting company offers an online dispute option. Is this the preferred method? I think it might be quicker and easier if I contact the collection companies directly and dispute the charges over the phone. Has anyone tried this and had any success? Does anyone have any other advice for disputing collections accounts?

Also, I would obviously like to get this done as soon as possible so I can begin an appeal for my gradPLUS loan. If anyone has any advice on how to expedite this process it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I prefer online method. It should guide you to finish the process quickly. If you did not get response back, then you may call them directly. This way will help you to get the process solved quickly. And to further help you, have you applied for gradPLUS already or this is the first time?

tigyrgrl

Postby tigyrgrl » Mon May 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Always send a credit dispute in writing. Ideally send one to a creditor first, and then send a copy of that letter to the credit agencies when you have waited approximately 30 days. In the letter to the credit agencies explain your enclosure and the fact that the creditor has failed to respond within a reasonable window. Most of the time the credit agencies will remove the disputed matter in less than a week after receipt of your letter.

Return to “Financial Aid”