need based aid negotiating?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
swtlilsoni

need based aid negotiating?

Postby swtlilsoni » Tue May 01, 2012 2:19 pm

I know everyone negotiates for merit based aid, but what about need based? I didn't receive any need based grants so is there anything I can do?

dingbat

Re: need based aid negotiating?

Postby dingbat » Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:I know everyone negotiates for merit based aid, but what about need based? I didn't receive any need based grants so is there anything I can do?

You should try anyway: "I really want to go to your school, but money expensive, please help"

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 am

dingbat wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:I know everyone negotiates for merit based aid, but what about need based? I didn't receive any need based grants so is there anything I can do?

You should try anyway: "I really want to go to your school, but money expensive, please help"

Really? or are you joking. So whatever I sent the merit aid people, talking about how finances are tight and I might have to withdraw, just send that to the need based aid department?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat May 05, 2012 1:06 am

As long as the request is well-written and passes the laugh test, it certainly won't hurt. The worst they'll say is no, and then you're in no worse a position than you otherwise would have been.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat May 05, 2012 8:07 am

T14HopefulAK

Postby T14HopefulAK » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am

I need HELP!!!! asking for some scholarship money. I have been accepted into University of UT (#49) AND recently got taken off the waitlist at University of MD (#39). I would love to attend UMD but would like to ask for some money as finances are tight. I do not know how to approach this topic as Utah is lower ranked.....I would like to try to ask for some money from Utah as well now that I have another admissions offer from Maryland.

I am really confused as to how to approach this. PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU!

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:50 am

Anyone have experience negotiating need based with hys? Is it possible?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 pm

T14HopefulAK wrote:I need HELP!!!! asking for some scholarship money. I have been accepted into University of UT (#49) AND recently got taken off the waitlist at University of MD (#39). I would love to attend UMD but would like to ask for some money as finances are tight. I do not know how to approach this topic as Utah is lower ranked.....I would like to try to ask for some money from Utah as well now that I have another admissions offer from Maryland.

THANK YOU!

See my post in the other thread where you asked this question

T14HopefulAK

Postby T14HopefulAK » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 pm

dingbat wrote:
T14HopefulAK wrote:I need HELP!!!! asking for some scholarship money. I have been accepted into University of UT (#49) AND recently got taken off the waitlist at University of MD (#39). I would love to attend UMD but would like to ask for some money as finances are tight. I do not know how to approach this topic as Utah is lower ranked.....I would like to try to ask for some money from Utah as well now that I have another admissions offer from Maryland.

THANK YOU!

See my post in the other thread where you asked this question

Thank you! I appreciate the input!

Return to “Financial Aid”