Taking a year off after applying- scholarships?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
seancris

Taking a year off after applying- scholarships?

Postby seancris » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Hey all,

I applied and got a full-tuition offer at a school that I might consider attending in the future, but I'm taking the year off rather than going to law school next year.

Will this hurt me when I apply again next year? I'd really only consider attending that school with a full-tuition scholarship. I'm thinking that it's possible that the committee will YP me or not offer the same scholarship since I didn't accept it this year.

Would an addendum be enough to explain the situation away?

Thanks

FryBreadPower

Re: Taking a year off after applying- scholarships?

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Maybe you should discuss this with their office. I could see them conceivably not offering you that scholarship again (if there are limited funds, why offer it to a guy who didn't take it the first time?)

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Is it worth trying to defer/have you put in a request to do so? Or would you not want to do that so you can apply elsewhere?

seancris

Postby seancris » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Is it worth trying to defer/have you put in a request to do so? Or would you not want to do that so you can apply elsewhere?

I plan to apply elsewhere and really would only consider it as a back-up. With a few more LSAT points I could get a full ride or close to it a top 25 school, and I'm retaking in October. So if I fall short in October or don't get the scholarship at the T25 school, I'd like to attend the lower-ranked school with the full ride.

I'm hoping that an addendum will cover it. My numbers are well above both 75ths right now and the LSAT score is almost definitely going to be a few points higher when I apply.

seancris

Postby seancris » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Been thinking more about this, and the full scholarship would really not be a bad option next year. I still want to retake and reexamine my options, but at the end of the day the full ride at that school would be great to have as an option.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? Getting a scholarship offer, not accepting it, and then reapplying next year?

What kinds of things can I do (aside from improving my numbers) to put myself in a good position to get the offer again? An addendum explaining why I didn't accept it last time/why I would accept it now?

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm in a similar situation - I was offered a 60-70% scholly at a school that's known for being stingy. I am strongly considering taking this year off to continue working and then reapplying for next year. I spoke with the school, and basically explained that for finances it would be better if I can take this year to pay off my car, lower debt, etc. They were receptive to that (esp. given the current economy) and said that I should just address the situation in an addendum or my personal statement next year. They didn't promise that I would receive the same scholarship, but they said I would still be considered for scholarships.

(0L here)

seancris

Postby seancris » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:45 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I'm in a similar situation - I was offered a 60-70% scholly at a school that's known for being stingy. I am strongly considering taking this year off to continue working and then reapplying for next year. I spoke with the school, and basically explained that for finances it would be better if I can take this year to pay off my car, lower debt, etc. They were receptive to that (esp. given the current economy) and said that I should just address the situation in an addendum or my personal statement next year.

So how should we go about doing that kind of thing? Something along the lines of "I couldn't attend last year due to ___, but now ____."?

Return to “Financial Aid”