How do I afford to move to my law school?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kfeaston

How do I afford to move to my law school?

Postby kfeaston » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 am

I have no money due to all of it being spent finishing my undergrad and I think I may get accepted to Seton Hall. How do I afford to move from VA to NJ and get an apartment and all that stuff when law school starts in 4 months? And No, I can't borrow money from family, etc. and I have had bankruptcy over 2 years ago but have re-established credit.

How do other people do it that don't have mommy and daddy helping them or someone else giving them money? Can I get loans in realistic enough time to make the move so I can even make it to class in August?

Thanks!

franklyscarlet

Re: How do I afford to move to my law school?

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 am

kfeaston wrote:I have no money due to all of it being spent finishing my undergrad and I think I may get accepted to Seton Hall. How do I afford to move from VA to NJ and get an apartment and all that stuff when law school starts in 4 months? And No, I can't borrow money from family, etc. and I have had bankruptcy over 2 years ago but have re-established credit.

How do other people do it that don't have mommy and daddy helping them or someone else giving them money? Can I get loans in realistic enough time to make the move so I can even make it to class in August?

Thanks!

No advice for you, but that mommy and daddy comment was so unnecessarily snarky. Some of us dont have mommy and daddy, we have jobs. And savings.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 am

Don't move from VA to NJ for Seton Hall, if you can't even afford the move to the begin with.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 am

MrAnon wrote:Don't Seton Hall

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 am

get a job..not everyone has mommy and daddy paying for everything.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:11 am

Search student loans by area
http://www.bankrate.com/student-loans.aspx

you can compare person loan interest rates with this.

http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/personal-loans/

private law school loans

https://www.studentloan.com/privatestud ... wloans.htm

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 am

kfeaston wrote:I have no money.

anjmissy wrote:get a job.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:27 am

you should occupy newark and live in a tent until your loans come in

kfeaston

Postby kfeaston » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
kfeaston wrote:I have no money due to all of it being spent finishing my undergrad and I think I may get accepted to Seton Hall. How do I afford to move from VA to NJ and get an apartment and all that stuff when law school starts in 4 months? And No, I can't borrow money from family, etc. and I have had bankruptcy over 2 years ago but have re-established credit.

Thanks!

No advice for you, but that mommy and daddy comment was so unnecessarily snarky. Some of us dont have mommy and daddy, we have jobs. And savings.

Getting butt hurt that I mentioned mommy and daddy helping must have really hit a nerve with you; did you get help from mommy and daddy? Because if not than don't worry about any underline meaning of me being "snarky" or whatever yuppy adjective you want to give, take what I said at face value. If you did it without their help then by all means your opinion is of importance as long as it is not trying to extrapolate what I said into meanings I did not say!

kfeaston

Postby kfeaston » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am

llachans wrote:
kfeaston wrote:I have no money.

anjmissy wrote:get a job.

Thanks jaq off if these are the kind of answers I get then you must not be too smart buddy because you can't get a job working more than 20 hours a week in your 1L!

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:04 am

franklyscarlet wrote:

Thanks!

Or three jobs and savings

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:04 am

They meant get a job before you move to law school. Take a year off and work. Save up your money and reapply. Don't go to Seton Hall.

Previous bankruptcy may pose a C&F problem, as well.

Stop being so defensive; it makes you sound like a jerk.

Edit: If this plan doesn't work for you, put your moving expenses on a credit card and pay it off when your loans come through. :roll:
Last edited by DCDuck on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kfeaston

Postby kfeaston » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:05 am

DCDuck wrote:They meant get a job before you move to law school. Take a year off and work. Save up your money and reapply. Don't go to Seton Hall.

Previous bankruptcy may pose a C&F problem, as well.

Stop being so defensive; it makes you sound like a jerk.

Thanks for your advice, but I don't appreciate having my words warped and being condescended to.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 am

kfeaston wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Thanks!

Getting butt hurt that I mentioned mommy and daddy helping must have really hit a nerve with you; did you get help from mommy and daddy? Because if not than don't worry about any underline meaning of me being "snarky" or whatever yuppy adjective you want to give, take what I said at face value. If you did it without their help then by all means your opinion is of importance as long as it is not trying to extrapolate what I said into meanings I did not say!

oh sweetie. You're new here aren't you.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:08 am

kfeaston wrote:Thanks for your advice, but I don't appreciate having my words warped and being condescended to.

kfeaston wrote:you must not be too smart buddy

kfeaston wrote:jaq off

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:08 am

kfeaston wrote:
Thanks jaq off if these are the kind of answers I get then you must not be too smart buddy because you can't get a job working more than 20 hours a week in your 1L!

Obviously you could get a job now. Like other posters have comprehended.

Genki

Postby Genki » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:08 am

Get a job now. You still have 4 months. Even if it is minimum wage, you should be able to save enough for a first months rent and deposit for an apartment with enough cash to last until your loans come in.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 am

OP,
You don't have to respond to everyone that pisses you off.

If you want to go to law school and have no money then you are going to have use one of the tools I linked to you above.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 am

Birdnals wrote:
kfeaston wrote:you must not be too smart buddy

kfeaston wrote:jaq off

:lol:

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 am

sell blood and semen

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:18 am

Threads such as this are entertaining! My mommy and daddy haven't helped me financially since I was about 14 years old and it still came off wrong to me. However, it is so easy to misunderstand people on a message board, you really can't always tell what a person means by their words.

That said, no sarcasm intended, what you are talking about seems a bit financially wreck less to me. You asked how others do it if they don't have help from family and the answer in my case is you plan and save. For us, that's been over the course of several years. Paying off debts and saving money. It may be worth working for a year, couple jobs if necessary, and saving several thousand dollars. I know it seems like a long time but you will be glad you did later. Financial head aches are exhausting.

kfeaston

Postby kfeaston » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Search student loans by area
http://www.bankrate.com/student-loans.aspx

you can compare person loan interest rates with this.

http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/personal-loans/

private law school loans

https://www.studentloan.com/privatestud ... wloans.htm

Thanks for the links!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:55 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
kfeaston wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Thanks!

oh sweetie. You're new here aren't you.

wow. OP, you're an asshole.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Thank god you're going to SH.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Saw your other post in the "what are my chances" forum. With being a disabled veteran is there not anything financially you can get from the VA in advance to help with your move? Not a veteran myself so don't know how all that works, just a thought.

Return to “Financial Aid”