Scholarship Negotiation Based On Career Plans??

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
LadyDiabolyn

Scholarship Negotiation Based On Career Plans??

Postby LadyDiabolyn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:46 am

Can my letter be based on the fact that I may get a relatively low paying job after graduation and thus be unable to pay off the debt?
Last edited by LadyDiabolyn on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cinephile

Re: Scholarship Negotiation Based On Career Plans??

Postby cinephile » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:12 am

Some schools have specific public interest scholarships for students like yourself. They generally require an additional essay/interview/promise to work in public interest for x year or pay back the scholarship.

On the plus side, at least living expenses in Champaign will be low.

LadyDiabolyn

Postby LadyDiabolyn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 am

Hmmm. That's something to consider.

Another question: should I wait to see my other offers (if any), or should I go ahead and email them now?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:50 am

Well, if you think that the scholarship percentage/amount is ambiguous, are you going to negotiate for a higher or lower percentage & amount ? :D

Your letter should indicate the type of work that you will undertake, not the amount that you'll be paid since low paying work can be due to public interest work or to poor law school performance/poor interviewing skills. Why would a law school reward one for performing poorly in law school ?

Research IBR (income based repayment) programs & LRAP.

LadyDiabolyn

Postby LadyDiabolyn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:30 am

hahaha, I decided to just phrase it by asking for a greater amount, rather than dealing with the percentage.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Financial Aid”