Pushing back scholarship money

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
stevenash1313

Pushing back scholarship money

Postby stevenash1313 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Question for next cycle that I was just wondering if anyone had experience with. Say i get $60,000(20,000yr) from a school. Would they let me not take any 1L and take 20,000 2L and 40,000 3L. Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

landla

Re: Pushing back scholarship money

Postby landla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:34 am

...why?

stevenash1313

Postby stevenash1313 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm

because I will have GI Bill for my first year and half of my second year which will cover full tuition at some schools, but the military only covers after other scholarships are already applied leaving me not getting the full value of both a scholarship and my GI Bill my first year.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:42 pm

I doubt anyone on this board will have any first hand knowledge to share. You should talk to the schools that offered you money. But I can't see why schools wouldn't help ya out, because by giving you the money later the school is actually a bit better off.

romnickhudges

Postby romnickhudges » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 am

I agree, the best thing to do is talk to your school administration since no one here knows the rules and procedures that you should follow. It would only bring you confusion if you keep on asking that. Why not phone them or better go to their office directly because they will surely assist you in all your concern.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 am

I think the scholarships are budgeted per year not pet student. They also may have a cap on how much they will pay in a year. You should ask this question in one of the threads dealing with the military maybe someone else has run across this issue.

dvjn69

Postby dvjn69 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:01 am

stevenash1313 wrote:because I will have GI Bill for my first year and half of my second year which will cover full tuition at some schools, but the military only covers after other scholarships are already applied leaving me not getting the full value of both a scholarship and my GI Bill my first year.

Check with your school's financial aid office and VA Rep about the status of your scholarship. If the scholarship is for "tuition only," then it must be paid before GI Bill funds will be used for tuition. If it is a general scholarship that can be used for living expenses, etc, then it does not have to be applied to tuition before GI Bill funds are used...

If you want more info from some of the schools I've been admitted to, PM me.

If that is the case, you can put that $20,000 you don't need in a CD or high interest savings account, and make some bank at the school's expense, then use it your 3L year.... Or buy a house....

Return to “Financial Aid”