Negotiating with no other applications submitted

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sjwest

Negotiating with no other applications submitted

Postby sjwest » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:56 am

Quick summary: I'm a certified patent agent with a Genetics major. 162/3.5. I attended a year of graduate school before deciding research wasn't for me.
I only applied to one school (UH), because they have great part time and IP programs. They were the only school I wanted to attend.

I didn't even think of applying elsewhere, because I wouldn't even consider accepting their offers. Has anyone has luck with negotiations with no other schools' offers?

I got accepted with a very modest 2.5k scholarship. I would love to negotiate using my education background as a diversity point, but I have no idea if it will be successful. Has anyone else tried this?

I am considering taking the June LSAT to boost my scores, but would they adjust my scholarship package that late in the game?

Any idea or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Let me emphasize that my numbers are strong for the part time program, above median for the full time.

sjwest

Re: Negotiating with no other applications submitted

Postby sjwest » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:56 pm

I'll add a quick question to this.

I can apply to a few tier 3/4 schools that still have an open application period. I'll probably receive scholarship offers there. Should I spend the $150 on application fees to do this, or will the fact that the schools are not peer schools give little weight to any scholarships I may or may not receive?

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:19 pm

sjwest wrote:I'll add a quick question to this.

I can apply to a few tier 3/4 schools that still have an open application period. I'll probably receive scholarship offers there. Should I spend the $150 on application fees to do this, or will the fact that the schools are not peer schools give little weight to any scholarships I may or may not receive?

No, don't apply anywhere this late. They are probably out of money for scholarships even if their class isn't already full.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 am

Just so everyone knows, I sent a email requesting additional aid emphasizing my work experience as a patent agent, my hard science background (diversity ftw), and my above average numbers and I've already heard back and had my modest scholarship amount doubled. Don't hesitate to ask! All they can ever say is no!

Return to “Financial Aid”