Merit scholarship negotiation time frame?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sd5289

Merit scholarship negotiation time frame?

Postby sd5289 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm

For the people who have been negotiating merit scholarship money: how long did it take between the time you asked for more $$ and getting a response from the law school? Because I'm PI-bound, I'm focusing on Cardozo and Brooklyn with merit scholarships from both rather than a place like Fordham with no merit scholarship. Both offered them to me right off the bat, and my understanding is when that happens, you generally have room to play with. Problem is that Bk offered me over 2x the amount and I much prefer Dozo. After my visit to Cardozo yesterday I emailed the financial aid office with a basic request to negotiate (really like your school, received more $$ from a peer school, and I have to be practical about my financial situation post-graduation, so can we work something out?).

Now that I've begun the negotiation process, how long has it typically taken for people to hear back? Tuition deposits are due 4/15 for Bk and 4/16 for Dozo. What kinds of experiences have other people had with this?

AD10390

Re: Merit scholarship negotiation time frame?

Postby AD10390 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Tried this with Minn, and just emailed Bklyn. Heard back from Minn in 3 days. I'll post a response when I hear back from BLS

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Update: got an email today saying their committee reconvened to consider my appeal and the staff is currently "processing" it, so I should be notified later today or early tomorrow. So roughly a 3-day time frame even with the weekend in there. I'll update again when I found if this was successful!

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Well then, that was fast. Roughly 3 hrs after the dean emailed me saying that I'd get a decision soon, I got a decision and it's what I wanted. Cardozo Class of 2015, here I come.

Ask and ye shall receive!

wessner

Postby wessner » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:26 pm

I got into cardozo with 18K/year. How much did they give you initially and what did they raise it to? thanks

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 pm

wessner wrote:I got into cardozo with 18K/year. How much did they give you initially and what did they raise it to? thanks

'Bozo shits money.

Return to “Financial Aid”