I'm a URM, can I negotiate for a scholarship from Georgetown

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
DWinter18

I'm a URM, can I negotiate for a scholarship from Georgetown

Postby DWinter18 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm a URM (Mexican-American) in at Georgetown. 169/3.38. They are easily my number one choice and frankly, I don't want to go anywhere else. I went to an ASW and a local reception already, and mentally, I am set on going there. I just got my financial aid award, and it was a 14,000 grant per semester, and some loans. I am wondering if I should contact them and see if I may also be in line for a scholarship. UTexas offered me 15,000 a year. WashU offered me a lot, I can't remember off the top of my head. I know those schools are a tier below GULC, so should I first inquire if I am even getting a scholarship before bringing up their offers?

Tiago Splitter

Re: I'm a URM, can I negotiate for a scholarship from Georgetown

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 pm

A $14,000 grant per semester is the same thing as a very nice scholarship. It doesn't hurt to ask for more but their answer will probably go something like "Dude, we gave you $14,000 per semester already." Or something like that.

DWinter18

Postby DWinter18 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Yea, I went back after I posted and looked at it again... it is pretty substantial. I don't want to come off as a needy bastard. Doesn't GULC hand out scholarships after all financial aid award notices are handed out? So there may still be something I might get?

DWinter18

Postby DWinter18 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Well it turns out I did receive some scholarship money! I am slightly confused about it though. The email with the scholarship info says that "This scholarship, in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown, is for $XXXXX.00 total for each of three years of study here at the Law Center."

First of all, and maybe this is a dumb question, but that scholarship applies to each year of law school then right? As in, I'd receive the stated amount of money every year?

Secondly, it says "in combination with any grants" - does this mean I can't have the grant and scholarship together? As in, does it max out at a certain total of how much aid/scholarship money I receive? Or am I eligible to get both? If I get both, I'm extremely lucky and grateful. I'm just a little confused with the wording there. Any help would be appreciated!

clarion

Postby clarion » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:53 am

DWinter18 wrote:Well it turns out I did receive some scholarship money! I am slightly confused about it though. The email with the scholarship info says that "This scholarship, in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown, is for $XXXXX.00 total for each of three years of study here at the Law Center."

First of all, and maybe this is a dumb question, but that scholarship applies to each year of law school then right? As in, I'd receive the stated amount of money every year?

Secondly, it says "in combination with any grants" - does this mean I can't have the grant and scholarship together? As in, does it max out at a certain total of how much aid/scholarship money I receive? Or am I eligible to get both? If I get both, I'm extremely lucky and grateful. I'm just a little confused with the wording there. Any help would be appreciated!

Hey don't know if you still haven't found the answer to this, but my understanding is that whatever is the largest number between the two is what you'll get. For example, lets say you got 14k in scholarship, and 20k in need based, then you'd just get 20k a year, not 34. But congratulations anyway and I guess I'll probably see you around this fall! :D

wannagetinsomewhere

Postby wannagetinsomewhere » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 pm

DWinter18 wrote:Well it turns out I did receive some scholarship money! I am slightly confused about it though. The email with the scholarship info says that "This scholarship, in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown, is for $XXXXX.00 total for each of three years of study here at the Law Center."

Did you find out? I am in the same situation

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 pm

The total financial aid amount stated in that particular letter seems to be the complete amount you will receive for each of the 3 years - in need grants and merit.

If they process your need-based info at a later date and determine it to be more $ than the merit scholarship, they will give you that higher amount, not both. However, they may blend the need and merit awards to arrive up to the scholarship amount detailed in the letter. The merit/need ratio may change from year to year, but the total amount overall is guaranteed.

But there is also different types of scholarship recipients. Some have to pay seat deposits, others have it waived. So the rules may differ from person to person.

Return to “Financial Aid”