Should I wait to ask for Merit Aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
stilles

Should I wait to ask for Merit Aid?

Postby stilles » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 pm

I've been accepted to one of my top choices (thankfully) but haven't received scholly info as of yet (it's been 2 months)

Since money is a deciding factor for me, should I go ahead and send a letter asking for merit aid? I have been accepted to a 'higher ranked' school with $$, but I'm not sure if I should wait before I get a 'need based package' from that school.

Thanks in advance! :)

cinephile

Re: Should I wait to ask for Merit Aid?

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Ask now. If it doesn't work or you want more leverage, ask for more when/if you get a need based package (note: if you have merit aid, then your need aid goes down because your need is much less now considering the merit-based aid).

stilles

Postby stilles » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks for the advice - I guess I'm hesitating because I don't want to sound greedy, but I DO need the $ so I'll get working on that letter.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:08 pm

No prob, happy to help.
And don't worry about sounding greedy. Obviously you want to be professional and polite, but being firm and asking for money doesn't mean they'll rescind their offer to you. This is the opportunity to do what's best for you.

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Hey, how do you go about asking for money? I have no idea how to word that email or who to send it to. Fin aid packages are starting to come back and they're not looking pretty :(

Return to “Financial Aid”