Transfers and financial aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
arism87

Transfers and financial aid?

Postby arism87 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 pm

I haven't honestly done sufficient background research and I'm sure this answer is out there somewhere. I also hesitate to post because there is a pretty slim chance I will apply to transfer (I love my school) and don't want to be outed, but I wanna be informed.

If I apply to transfer to Y (and get in AND decide to go), how would financial aid work? If I haven't filled out a FAFSA by now am I screwed? Does anyone know offhand if parents' info is required, and if so, is both if they're divorced? (More importantly, do I have to include stepparents if they file jointly?) When would I know what the final figures are? I just have no idea what kind of aid to expect and definitely don't want to go through what sounds like a pretty awful process asking for LORs only to find out that it's not financially feasible since I have a good scholarship where I am.

Thanks for any input!

grovevilleroad

Re: Transfers and financial aid?

Postby grovevilleroad » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 am

arism87 wrote:I haven't honestly done sufficient background research and I'm sure this answer is out there somewhere. I also hesitate to post because there is a pretty slim chance I will apply to transfer (I love my school) and don't want to be outed, but I wanna be informed.

If I apply to transfer to Y (and get in AND decide to go), how would financial aid work? If I haven't filled out a FAFSA by now am I screwed? Does anyone know offhand if parents' info is required, and if so, is both if they're divorced? (More importantly, do I have to include stepparents if they file jointly?) When would I know what the final figures are? I just have no idea what kind of aid to expect and definitely don't want to go through what sounds like a pretty awful process asking for LORs only to find out that it's not financially feasible since I have a good scholarship where I am.

Thanks for any input!

I do not know anything about your transfer question.

Concerning parent info, it all depends on your age or status or if you have dependents, etc, for the FAFSA, but most schools require the Need Access which is much more strict with requiring parent info. If your parents are divorced, it will go by household. Say you use your mom, it would be your mother's and, assuming she is remarried, your step-father's information, no need for your father's. FAFSA will tell you right away what your expected contribution is, which normally gives you an idea of what type of aid you will receive. Actual numbers will come from the school based on their policies. Odds are, seeming that you are not familiar with the FAFSA as you probably have not qualified for aid in the past, you will probably end up paying a lot more where you transfer as you say you have a nice scholarship currently and I do not believe there are any scholarships offered to transfers, at least I have not heard or read of any.

Return to “Financial Aid”