X

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
unoplayer

X

Postby unoplayer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:29 am

X
Last edited by unoplayer on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

anjmissy

Re: Appealing LSAC fee waiver denial because of cash balances

Postby anjmissy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 am

unoplayer wrote:I was denied a fee waiver because cash balances exceed the eligibility criteria. My cash balance is about $1000 and my parents' is about $10,000.

They have a high cash balance because they are retired, and need the savings to last for the rest of their life because they do not get much Social Security. The appeal instructions say that I need to provide additional documentation, but how do I prove that my parents are retired? Their fax forms that I have to send to LSAC already show how much Social Security they receive.

U still won't get it with that proof..many people have zero in both their accounts and their parents account and are denied..bank statements prove nothing, esp when they know people can just withdraw the money and make their account look like how they want it to look..$1000 in your account doesn't seem like you're in need to me, so it definitely won't to LSAC

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:36 am

You won't get the fee waiver.

R86

Postby R86 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm

t14fanboy wrote:You won't get the fee waiver.

this. i was in almost the EXACT same situation. got denied for the same reason with similar #'s. i wrote a really sincere, detailed appeal letter to them and sent tons of documentation - i made my case very clearly, and very well. but nope, appeal got denied.

quasimodo

Postby quasimodo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:48 pm

I was initially denied because I put $500. I appealed, saying I just "guessed" how much I had in the account and printed out my online checking account which actually had $55. Got it overturned. But then again, my parents 1040 was fairly low. Doesn't hurt to try, I guess.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:02 am

You can afford LSAC's fees.
Stop mooching

(you don't understand the meaning of need. Real need means not knowing when your next meal us coming, let alone where it's coming from. If you have $1000 in the bank, you're not needy)

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:33 am

dingbat wrote:You can afford LSAC's fees.
Stop mooching

(you don't understand the meaning of need. Real need means not knowing when your next meal us coming, let alone where it's coming from. If you have $1000 in the bank, you're not needy)

How do you know how long this $1000 is to last him? He might not have a job. He may have 1200 in bills come at the end of the month. How is getting a fee waiver mooching anyway? So you don't have to pay the exorbitant and silly fees law schools charge to even apply to their school at which they will charge you 45000 a year to attend. Don't make silly assumptions. Almost no one has $1000 in the bank that is just a slush fund to have fun with.

TL;DR: Don't be an ass.

This coming from a guy that paid almost 1500 in fees for law school apps.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:53 pm

If I have $0 in my savings/checking account, but make 55k/year (I live in a very expensive city though, will I qualify for a fee waiver? Just got denied cause I said I had $1000 in my bank accounts.

I am independent too, so don't need to turn in parents info.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 pm

unoplayer wrote:I was denied a fee waiver because cash balances exceed the eligibility criteria. My cash balance is about $1000 and my parents' is about $10,000.

They have a high cash balance because they are retired, and need the savings to last for the rest of their life because they do not get much Social Security. The appeal instructions say that I need to provide additional documentation, but how do I prove that my parents are retired? Their fax forms that I have to send to LSAC already show how much Social Security they receive.

I had a similar problem with my cash balance being too high. No context at all for it, just that I didn't qualify. I saved up that money to live off of while I studied for the LSAT full-time from March to June and possibly until October (which turned out to be the case). I have a few friends who are making $40k+ in cash in china and have $11-15k in stocks and qualified for fee waivers.

It sucks but it is what it is. Hate the rules but good luck changing them.

Return to “Financial Aid”