Can I just not fill out any financial aid forms?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Worker and Parasite

Can I just not fill out any financial aid forms?

Postby Worker and Parasite » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:47 am

Note: I am planning to pay for my 1L out of pocket so do I still need to fill out any financial aid forms. I filled out the FAFSA but if I'm definitely not getting need-based aid and not taking out any institutional/gov/private loans then there shouldn't be a reason to fill out needaccess or a school-specific form?

I swear I'm not lazy

dixon02

Re: Can I just not fill out any financial aid forms?

Postby dixon02 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:49 am

I would assume you do not need to fill out the firms, but it can't hurt to call the schools' admissions offices and ask.

Neatrends

Postby Neatrends » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 am

Well the only consequence of not filling them out would be not getting loans so if you are certain you don't want them I don't see any reason why you would fill them out. Thats not lazy just efficient ;)

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:08 am

Definitely just call and ask.

landla

Postby landla » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Some schools apparently have policies of not releasing merit aid until they receive your need information, since they are need/merit combinations. (This is from a few sources, including information on this site and current law students.) I would say fill it out this year in case you get merit, since there is no need to pay the extra money if you don't have to. In future years, unless any scholarship money is contingent upon it, don't bother.

Basically: check with your schools to see if they withhold merit until need information is received.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Got it, thanks everyone. I'll call the offices right now

Return to “Financial Aid”