Parents Refuse to Fill out Fafsa

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Re: Parents Refuse to Fill out Fafsa

Postby yupaws » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

I had this problem. Most schools had an allowance for "special consideration" or "administrative review." Something weird like that. I talked to Penn's financial aid for a really long time about my situation, and they wanted a lot of documentation I didn't have. I tried my best to explain what happened with my family situation to them and they sat on it for about two months before deciding. But they did grant me Independent status afterward. I have this problem with a few schools and almost all of them have come through for me. Penn was the most difficult one, actually. If there's really no way your parents will give you information, schools will still work with you. :)

Re: Parents Refuse to Fill out Fafsa

Postby annet » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Just to add some other info to this thread, yes, even crazy "we must have all of your parents information" schools like GW, my undergrad, have policies in place. I knew two students who GW classified as emancipated and in both situations it was because their parents simply stopped all support/wanting to have any contact after high school. Financial aid office allowed both to apply for merit and need based aid as individuals. So, always call and ask. It can't hurt.

Return to “Financial Aid”