Need advice on negotiating $$ from UCLA given these facts

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
joetheplumber

Need advice on negotiating $$ from UCLA given these facts

Postby joetheplumber » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:51 pm

1. Got waitlisted for Cal. There goes my leverage...
2. UC Davis: 27K, I think for both merit and need.
3. UC Irvine: 15K merit. Maybe 10K need?, still waiting for the need side. So total 25K.
4. UC Hastings: 15 Merit and 9 K need, so total 24K
5. USC: No information whatsoever yet, still waiting.
6. UCLA gives me 10K for need, and nothing for merit.

Given these set of conditions, what is the best way to negotiate $$ from UCLA for merit. Should I even mention lower rank schools or just ask him to consider me for scholarship, because according to LSN, my stats 3.9/167 should give me about a 20Kish scholarship.

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Re: Need advice on negotiating $$ from UCLA given these facts

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 pm

joetheplumber wrote:1. Got waitlisted for Cal. There goes my leverage...
3. UC Irvine: 15K merit. Maybe 10K need?, still waiting for the need side. So total 25K.

Given these set of conditions, what is the best way to negotiate $$ from UCLA for merit. Should I even mention lower rank schools or just ask him to consider me for scholarship, because according to LSN, my stats 3.9/167 should give me about a 20Kish scholarship.

Thanks!

This is why you apply to schools in more than one state.

At this point, just send them all of your offers (once they come in) and explain that financial considerations will be a big part of your decision but you would love to to go UCLA, blah, blah, blah.

If UCLA is definitely your number one choice try to negotiate with USC first and take their best offer back to UCLA. Good luck.

shbe0701

Postby shbe0701 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:27 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Thanks!

This is why you apply to schools in more than one state.

At this point, just send them all of your offers (once they come in) and explain that financial considerations will be a big part of your decision but you would love to to go UCLA, blah, blah, blah.

If UCLA is definitely your number one choice try to negotiate with USC first and take their best offer back to UCLA. Good luck.

+1

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks!

I have full scholarships at lower ranked schools and no money at t14. My future method is to leverage the bottom school against the next bottom school, to get more money at the next bottom school. I plan to do that all the way up to the t14. I don't know if it will work, but that is my plan. I really don't want to have to pay for law school.

I don't know if this helps, but that is my current plan.

Return to “Financial Aid”