Extraoridinarily Confused by FInancial Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
airbear1012

Extraoridinarily Confused by FInancial Aid

Postby airbear1012 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 am

Okay, so I honestly have no idea what I should be doing in regard to financial aid. If anyone could help explain to me the difference between FAFSA and NeedAccess that would be amazing. Also, do all schools need your parents' financial info? Are actually copies of documents needed before an offer of aid will even be made? I have looked at the financial aid sections of the school websites I am considering and it does not seem very helpful.

ahnhub

Re: Extraoridinarily Confused by FInancial Aid

Postby ahnhub » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:30 am

NeedAccess is for schools to determine your financial need for institutional aid.
FAFSA is for the federal government to determine what type of loans/other government aid you are eligible for.

PolySuyGuy

Re: Extraoridinarily Confused by FInancial Aid

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 pm

airbear1012 wrote: Also, do all schools need your parents' financial info? Are actually copies of documents needed before an offer of aid will even be made?

Public schools don't need parents financial aid information. FAFSA doesn't require parents financial aid information since you will be finished with your undergraduate degree. NeedAccess requires parent information unless they are deceased, or somehow incapacitated from giving out that information. Need Access is institutional only, as far as I can tell it is only for private schools. But all schools still want FAFSA even if they want Need Access too.

Return to “Financial Aid”