negotiating for mich $ with vandy $$

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
smoneill88

negotiating for mich $ with vandy $$

Postby smoneill88 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 pm

hey guys,

i got in to michigan appx 6 weeks ago with no merit scholly offers. just friday vanderbilt offered me 60k in merit scholarship. my numbers are 3.58 169, but during my junior + senior years of undergrad i had an average 3.83 gpa (a point i used in my vandy scholarship application).

do you think reaching out to mich for any scholarship is worth it given my potential negotiation points (the vandy scholly + my gpa caveat)? mich is my top school right now, as i'm still waiting to hear from cornell, usc, and i'm WL at ucla, and it's by far the highest ranked school i think i'm going to get in to (and the highest ranked school i applied to).

thanks for the help,
s

Dany

Re: negotiating for mich $ with vandy $$

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:56 pm

It can't hurt to try, but they won't care about your GPA issue (it's not a legitimate negotiation point). I don't think they'll be terribly swayed by Vandy's offer, but you have nothing to lose, so send them an email.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am

You should have some success. Update?

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd update everyone. No luck with the negotiation. I'm going to see if I get any offers from USC or Cornell and then respond one last time with those (unless anyone thinks that's a bad idea).

Wish me luck!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Good luck, but I'm pretty sure they only let you negotiate once. That's what they told me, anyway.

PenguinMarch

Postby PenguinMarch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Would you think that it would be more useful to use a full ride at a slightly less prestigious school (WashU) to try and get Michigan money?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:22 pm

PenguinMarch wrote:Would you think that it would be more useful to use a full ride at a slightly less prestigious school (WashU) to try and get Michigan money?

Use everything you have unless it's a school that makes you choose one offer to match.

Return to “Financial Aid”