Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:48 pm

So I've gotten into all of CCN and just got my package from UChicago today. I received a $90,000 scholarship to be split between my three years which I was absolutely thrilled about. Though I would be thrilled at UChi, Columbia is my top choice of the three, however, and I am slightly worried that since I did not receive a Hamilton or a Butler offer in my acceptance letter they will not offer me anywhere near this amount. I know Columbia won't award packages until late March....if their offer isn't close to the $90,000 (and I hope it is!), is there a decent chance I could negotiate up? How could I best approach this? I know this is a hypothetical question but I know I'll probably only have a few weeks to decide between Chicago and Columbia once I get Columbia's offer (with the UChi deadline being 4/15). So I want to prepare myself as best as I can. Any help would be appreciated!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 pm

noggo10 wrote:So I've gotten into all of CCN and just got my package from UChicago today. I received a $90,000 scholarship to be split between my three years which I was absolutely thrilled about. Though I would be thrilled at UChi, Columbia is my top choice of the three, however, and I am slightly worried that since I did not receive a Hamilton or a Butler offer in my acceptance letter they will not offer me anywhere near this amount. I know Columbia won't award packages until late March....if their offer isn't close to the $90,000 (and I hope it is!), is there a decent chance I could negotiate up? How could I best approach this? I know this is a hypothetical question but I know I'll probably only have a few weeks to decide between Chicago and Columbia once I get Columbia's offer (with the UChi deadline being 4/15). So I want to prepare myself as best as I can. Any help would be appreciated!


Well, congrats on the 90k. That's a shit load of scholarship money, especially for a T6.

The best way you can negotiate for a scholarship is to know where you stand. If you are above both medians, you can "negotiate" -- although I don't really like that term. If you're only above one median, you have less room to maneuver. If you're below both at Columbia, you should be happy to have gotten in in the first place =).

But in all seriousness, the very first thing you can do is read this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

After that, you should know that you already have a decent start with the 90k offer. There's no easy/comfortable way to let Columbia and NYU know that you've been offered a sizable scholarship from Chicago, but read that link if you haven't already, and then come back if you still aren't sure what to do.

noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks so much that link was really helpful! I should wait until I have an initial offer from Columbia and NYU before I attempt to negotiate, correct? Thanks a lot!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 pm

noggo10 wrote:Thanks so much that link was really helpful! I should wait until I have an initial offer from Columbia and NYU before I attempt to negotiate, correct? Thanks a lot!


Glad you found it helpful. I sometimes recommend giving them an email beforehand. It can't hurt. It could just put you more on their radar, ya know? Also, it might speed things up if they get back to you and initiate a conversation--that way you can drop the 90k from UChic without sounding too pretentious. If they know what they're up against vis-a-vis your options, they might just match it or come pretty close to it. Otherwise, they have reason to believe that they're going to lose you. What are your numbers, if we may know?
Last edited by WhiteGuy5 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Okay that sounds like a good idea thanks. 3.9/173, so above medians at all three of them.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:27 pm

noggo10 wrote:Okay that sounds like a good idea thanks. 3.9/173, so above medians at all three of them.


I think you're enough of a hot shot to send an email =). Good luck!

noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Alright great thanks so much! So basically if I send them an email saying that Columbia is my top choice and I was thrilled to get accepted and would love the opportunity to attend, but scholarship money will play a big factor in my decision. Then just ask when I can expect to hear from them? Hopefully after that they will initiate a conversation and I can mention the 90k from UChi without sounding too pretentious about it?

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 pm

noggo10 wrote:Alright great thanks so much! So basically if I send them an email saying that Columbia is my top choice and I was thrilled to get accepted and would love the opportunity to attend, but scholarship money will play a big factor in my decision. Then just ask when I can expect to hear from them? Hopefully after that they will initiate a conversation and I can mention the 90k from UChi without sounding too pretentious about it?


That's the plan so far (unless others want to disagree with me).

noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Okay that sounds great!

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 am

You will probably get something from CLS, but if you didn't get a Butler/Hamilton in the first go round, they aren't going to do any better. The best I saw for CLS scholarships last year was something around $60k over 3 years and I'm pretty sure some level of need was involved. That said, $90k at Chicago puts you in a great place to at least try for that, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for anymore than that. NYU will probably bite though and could potentially offer more than Chicago.

noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 am

Yeah it will be interesting to see. Although there definitely is some legitimate need involved on my part and I certainly have solid numbers for CCN, I wasn't expecting 90k from UChicago. I come from a pretty modest-income background and even though I want NYC Big Law and am not too concerned about taking on some debt, I don't think I could pass up 90k at Chicago unless I got something comparable from Columbia. If I could somehow get 75k from CLS maybe that would do it. But yeah, I think I'd have a fairly equal chance at NYC Big Law from CLS and UChi, so unless I get into one Y/H/S, I think it may be Chicago. I'll give it a try with the email and negotiation, though, because it certainly couldn't hurt to try. I'll reach out to NYU, too, because it would be great if they offered even more. We'll see what happens but I'm just pretty happy about the great offer.

User avatar
StrictlyBusiness
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 am

Congratulations on the Chicago $$$, I'll be ecstatic if I get anywhere near that at CCN. (right now I'll just be happy getting into CC)

Does anyone have experience using a simple acceptance at a more highly ranked school as a bargaining chip? Obviously they recognize that Harvard is a little more appealing than CCN at the same price, but you can't exactly write "I'd love to attend your school, but its a bit shittier than another school that also hasn't offered me money either."

I'm hoping to get some CCN money, but if not I plan to use acceptance to try to get money out of the UVA-Duke type schools. Just not sure how to approach that if I have to.

User avatar
izy223
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby izy223 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:30 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Congratulations on the Chicago $$$, I'll be ecstatic if I get anywhere near that at CCN. (right now I'll just be happy getting into CC)

Does anyone have experience using a simple acceptance at a more highly ranked school as a bargaining chip? Obviously they recognize that Harvard is a little more appealing than CCN at the same price, but you can't exactly write "I'd love to attend your school, but its a bit shittier than another school that also hasn't offered me money either."

I'm hoping to get some CCN money, but if not I plan to use acceptance to try to get money out of the UVA-Duke type schools. Just not sure how to approach that if I have to.



I actually leveraged my CCN with georgetown for 90k. I was very blunt with them and they actually said thanks for your frankness.

Georgetown emailed me that i was being considered for a merit scholarhsip. And i told them that my first choice was NYU and i was accepted and i live in NY so its convenient so i needed a "significant scholarship" to get me to attend they said thank you for your frankness and replied 3 weeks later with 90k.

now i hope i can levarage that 90k to get $$$ to nyu

operagrl71
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby operagrl71 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Question, I have $$s from Chi and NYU that I want to try to leverage with CLS, should I send them something now letting them know about these awards or wait until after they release their decisions? Also, when negotiating with CLS, should I mention both awards, even if I'm planning to try and negotiate the lower one up as well...?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 pm

operagrl71 wrote:Question, I have $$s from Chi and NYU that I want to try to leverage with CLS, should I send them something now letting them know about these awards or wait until after they release their decisions? Also, when negotiating with CLS, should I mention both awards, even if I'm planning to try and negotiate the lower one up as well...?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!


What are the deadlines for accepting your scholarships? And also numbers/URM status/did you get into HYS, please.

operagrl71
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby operagrl71 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:38 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
operagrl71 wrote:Question, I have $$s from Chi and NYU that I want to try to leverage with CLS, should I send them something now letting them know about these awards or wait until after they release their decisions? Also, when negotiating with CLS, should I mention both awards, even if I'm planning to try and negotiate the lower one up as well...?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!


What are the deadlines for accepting your scholarships? And also numbers/URM status/did you get into HYS, please.


168, 3.5/AA/still waiting on H and S. Deadline for NYU scholly is April 6, deadline for U. Chi is April 15...

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:44 pm

operagrl71 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:168, 3.5/AA/still waiting on H and S. Deadline for NYU scholly is April 6, deadline for U. Chi is April 15...


1. It's totally worth a shot. I think if you phrase the email properly it can't really hurt you.
2. If they say no you can ask NYU and UChi to extend their scholarship deadlines. They have done it in the past it seems.

It's worth a shot at the very least.

But congrats on your awesome success so far. :)

User avatar
izy223
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby izy223 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 pm

question i have 90 from georgetown and just got 37500 from NYU can i levarage the 90 from georgetown to get a couple of more dollars from NYU something like 45000 or is that being too greedy?

operagrl71
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby operagrl71 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:13 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
operagrl71 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:168, 3.5/AA/still waiting on H and S. Deadline for NYU scholly is April 6, deadline for U. Chi is April 15...


1. It's totally worth a shot. I think if you phrase the email properly it can't really hurt you.
2. If they say no you can ask NYU and UChi to extend their scholarship deadlines. They have done it in the past it seems.

It's worth a shot at the very least.

But congrats on your awesome success so far. :)


Thanks! :) Will post again when I hear back...

noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:33 pm

OP here. In an update I just got my offer from NYU and received $112,500 over three years. As much as I love Columbia I'd be crazy to turn that down unless they matched it which I think is unlikely. I'll definitely give it a try but I highly doubt CLS would take it up to match. Good luck to everyone else with it.

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby lsatcrazy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 pm

noggo10 wrote:OP here. In an update I just got my offer from NYU and received $112,500 over three years. As much as I love Columbia I'd be crazy to turn that down unless they matched it which I think is unlikely. I'll definitely give it a try but I highly doubt CLS would take it up to match. Good luck to everyone else with it.

4 years?

noggo10
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship between CCN?

Postby noggo10 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Typo haha meant three




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests