Shouldn't I have received a Scholarship?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
curiousnole

Shouldn't I have received a Scholarship?

Postby curiousnole » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:12 pm

I was accepted to the University of Miami on January 26th and I am above the 75th percentile for both GPA and LSAT, shouldn't I have received something from them (they said scholarship info usually takes 2-3 weeks if you are going to get one)? I am also a Florida resident. I know a scholarship is never guaranteed, but I've heard that Miami gives a lot of scholarship money (with tough stipulations) to try to compete with UF and FSU's cheap tuition and I was kind of counting on this. Thanks!

cinephile

Re: Shouldn't I have received a Scholarship?

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Contact them!

curiousnole

Postby curiousnole » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm

I contacted them last week and they didn't look at my actual file or anything, but the individual said, "if they don't contact you with a scholarship by March, you didn't get one." Should I delve more? Who exactly should I call?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Contact financial aid. If it's easier, just do it by email. Something about how excited you are about your acceptance to Miami, it's your top choice, but you were wondering when you would hear back about scholarships. Then maybe a line about how you've already received your scholarship from XYZ university and it would really be helpful in the decision making process.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 pm

If you have a scholarship offer from another law school, then use it to negotiate for a Miami scholarship.

curiousnole

Postby curiousnole » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Called them and the official I talked to sounded surprised and told me that there was no offer in my file and there would be no offer. I guess I could try to leverage one of my other scholarships to get one, but I needed quite a large one to have them in the running so it's probably not worth the effort. Thank you very much!.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 am

Took me almost two months to get mine. Don't give up hope.

curiousnole wrote:I was accepted to the University of Miami on January 26th and I am above the 75th percentile for both GPA and LSAT, shouldn't I have received something from them (they said scholarship info usually takes 2-3 weeks if you are going to get one)? I am also a Florida resident. I know a scholarship is never guaranteed, but I've heard that Miami gives a lot of scholarship money (with tough stipulations) to try to compete with UF and FSU's cheap tuition and I was kind of counting on this. Thanks!

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

curiousnole wrote:Called them and the official I talked to sounded surprised and told me that there was no offer in my file and there would be no offer. I guess I could try to leverage one of my other scholarships to get one, but I needed quite a large one to have them in the running so it's probably not worth the effort. Thank you very much!.

ALWAYS WORTH THE EFFORT!!!

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Yah definitely go for negotiating. Remember wamanda's rule of not stopping until they say "no" two times in a row, haha.

It happens...I received nothing from a TTT safety I applied to this cycle but I just simply withdrew.

Good luck and have patience!

Return to “Financial Aid”