Negotiation Question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Katilicus

Negotiation Question

Postby Katilicus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Okay, I know there's a LOT of negotiation threads out there, but here's the deal with me.

I have been accepted at a lot of regional schools. Numbers are decent, 163LSAT 3.91 GPA (studied for the LSAT less than two weeks due to loss in the family which I explained in my personal statements plus I completed my science degree in three years while working 28 hours a week, also explained in personal statements). I am married, and would like to practice law in my local area (Cincinnati).

I have been offered admissions to University of Cincinnati, University of Kentucky, Dayton and Northern Kentucky. I know the last two are T4, but there did offer full scholarships. University of Cincinnati has $25.5 with UK offering in state waver with conditions that if I gain in state I will get some portion of the waver (13k per year) as a decrease on in state, however number isn't actually available. I have applied to Duke (long shot I know) and OSU. I would like to negotiate up a better offer from Cincinnati or UK.

The truth is I would like to stay in the Cincinnati area so I don't see accepting at a T2 school as being a bad thing per say. Any thoughts on whether or not UC or UK might be willing to negotiate based on T4s based simply on the fact that they are that close and that both are T2 or will they simply not be willing to budge? If not, if I work hard I know I can do a lot better on the LSAT (have been playing around with it and have been scoring low to mid 170s during practice timed exams, however I know its just a practice exam) and retake in June / October and reapply next cycle. Only problem is my GPA has dropped a bit (3.83) since I submitted my transcript.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Katilicus on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PARTY

Re: Negitiation Question

Postby PARTY » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:42 pm

Katilicus wrote:If not, if I work hard I know I can do a lot better on the LSAT (have been playing around with it and have been scoring low to mid 170s during practice timed exams, however I know its just a practice exam) and retake in June / October and reapply next cycle. Only problem is my GPA has dropped a bit (3.83) since I submitted my transcript.

doesn't fucking matter.

if you can bump your LSAT up to an official 170+, you have a shot (dependent on the rest of your app) at almost every school in the nation. don't sell yourself short, that GPA is amazing.

EDIT: and that's not even considering scholarships, which you could rake in with no problem if you upped the LSAT.

murray18

Re: Negitiation Question

Postby murray18 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:46 pm

PARTY wrote:
Katilicus wrote:If not, if I work hard I know I can do a lot better on the LSAT (have been playing around with it and have been scoring low to mid 170s during practice timed exams, however I know its just a practice exam) and retake in June / October and reapply next cycle. Only problem is my GPA has dropped a bit (3.83) since I submitted my transcript.

doesn't fucking matter.

if you can bump your LSAT up to an official 170+, you have a shot (dependent on the rest of your app) at almost every school in the nation. don't sell yourself short, that GPA is amazing.

EDIT: and that's not even considering scholarships, which you could rake in with no problem if you upped the LSAT.

+1000

Please don't waste that GPA. PLEASE. If you want Cincinnati, I'd be shooting for Michigan or a full ride at OSU at the very least. And that won't be a long shot. I'd be willing to bet you could get a full ride at OSU with 4 more points (don't quote me, that's an estimate).

Return to “Financial Aid”