Negotiating scholarships with just acceptances?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
WheninLaw

Negotiating scholarships with just acceptances?

Postby WheninLaw » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi all. Long time lurker.

I applied to a billion schools, and received acceptances from schools ranked 7-20 (literally all, minus one). Unfortunately, I haven't received a scholarship from any of them. I've still yet to complete the required financial aid based documents at schools like NU, but will soon.

My question is that normally it seems people negotiate using $$ from other schools. Is it possible to do so without money, but just with the acceptance? Would a school ranked 18 offer money knowing I have offers from 7-10, etc? I was hoping to just keep doing that until hopefully landing something from one of the higher schools.

Thanks.

landla

Re: Negotiating scholarships with just acceptances?

Postby landla » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Check out the Negotiation thread in the TLS Content Competition and the Negotiating Scholarships Works! thread in Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists.

Essentially, you can negotiate based on other acceptances. However, you should wait to hear from schools if you are possibly going to get money, since you don't want to make the first offer if you can avoid it. Start with your lowest ranked acceptances (based on USNWR and your own preferences) and work up, so by the time you are negotiating with the top schools (and your top choices) you have hefty scholarships in hand.

Return to “Financial Aid”