Negotiating for Stipend at a T10: (Dis)tasteful?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Negotiating for a T10 stipend, on top of full tuition?

OK to negotiate for a stipend
71%
Not in good taste to negotiate for a stipend
29%

Total votes: 17

maximillian1

Negotiating for Stipend at a T10: (Dis)tasteful?

Postby maximillian1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:42 pm

I have received 2 full tuition + stipend scholarships from T10 schools, and 1 full tuition scholarship from a T10 school which is probably my top choice and the "lower" ranked of the three. Would it be distasteful to leverage the full tuition + stipend offers to see if I can get a stipend from the third school?

I don't want to not ask if the opportunity is there, but also don't want to seem super awful/distasteful by the third school since they have already given me full tuition. (I'm really thankful for all the offer as is!)

Any input appreciated!

bk1

Re: Negotiating for Stipend at a T10: (Dis)tasteful?

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:43 pm

No reason not to. The worst they can do is say no.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:46 pm

I might roll my eyes at you if it weren't for the fact that you already have full tuition + stipend scholarships from peer schools. You clearly have leverage so I don't think the school would find it distasteful or think you were being ungrateful.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:I might roll my eyes at you if it weren't for the fact that you already have full tuition + stipend scholarships from peer schools. You clearly have leverage so I don't think the school would find it distasteful or think you were being ungrateful.

Just make sure that your language doesn't come over as arrogant or demanding.
The worst they can say is no.

Return to “Financial Aid”