Apply now for Berkeley Matching Scholarship?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Real Madrid

Apply now for Berkeley Matching Scholarship?

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 am

I know the general consensus on TLS for most things is to wait until you have all of your offers in front of you, but I was just reviewing the page on Berkeley's website regarding their matching scholarship program and it says that decisions are made on a rolling basis, and, hence, admitted students are encouraged to submit their requests as early as possible starting in February.

I currently have a small scholarship from Michigan with no other scholarship offer from a T14 school (also in at Cornell and Georgetown). I know FAFSA is required for Cornell (and I think for Georgetown?), and I'm currently still waiting for NU and Duke. Barring a ridiculously unexpected scholarship offer from either of those schools, I think Berkeley and Michigan are my two most likely choices, so I'm wondering if it's perhaps most sensible to go ahead and submit my request - or should I wait to hear back from NU and Duke?

Re: Apply now for Berkeley Matching Scholarship?

Postby Champion » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm

You should wait because what if Berkeley was going to give you more than Michigan's scholarship to begin with. Say mich gave you 30k, and Berkeley was going to give you 60k to begin with, but now that they know your cards they might beat Michigan but only by a little.

That's just my thinking, not sure if that's the right way to go or not.

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Apply now if you have been accepted to Berkeley & if you want to attend UCal-Berkeley because, typically, scholarship funds are not unlimited. If not, enjoy Michigan ! Congratulations !

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm

I believe I remember reading that Berk doesn't match NU's scholarships, so no point in waiting for that one.

(Probably because while NU gives aid to fewer people, they tend to give larger awards.)

Postby thecactus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Does anyone know an approximate number of people who receive matching scholarships every year? I've scoured the internet for this, but I couldn't really find an answer. Even anecdotal evidence at this point would be appreciated. Are we talking like 3 people or 100 people? My decision to go to Berkeley hinges on whether they can match, at least in part, a scholarship I received from another school.

Return to “Financial Aid”